News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Good idea or good grief?

Started by lars, May 05, 2020, 02:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

I received an email from Vintage Guitar for a company called "Earth Board" https://earthboardmusic.com/.
Right away, something didn't seem right to me, because they made claims like, "Nobody else can do this!", yet I could still see velcro all over the place. And sure enough, even though they are using rare earth magnets to attach their "gravity boots" to the metal board...the pedal itself is still attaching to the "boot" with plain 'ol velcro! So instead of one attachment point, you're now dealing with two. How is that an improvement? The pedal still has velcro on it. The whole point in coming up with something new is to get away from having to attach velcro to the bottom of your pedal, which can pull off manufacturer labels, leave super-sticky residue, (insert complaint here).
The real winner here in my opinion are the rare earth magnets that look like they can fit a standard 1590-style enclosure screw. I've been looking for magnets like those because I had this same idea, only I was going to attach the magnets directly to the pedal and just use an industrial metal shelf as the board. The only magnets I could find were too weak, and the rare earth magnets I found didn't fit the screws.
I would say, find the supplier of these magnets and get a bag for about $40.
Literally just about anybody can do this...
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

EBK

Looks like the pedal board has power rails, and the magnets are the connection to those power rails?  Useful if your problem is having too much money? 

As far as the downsides to velcro go, I just put a layer of gaffers tape on the bottom of my pedals before attaching the velcro.  Removable, but resilient.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

somnif

My first pedal board (and only board I've ever actually 'assembled') was just some scrap wood from a pallet and some screw-down metal hanger strapping to hold things in place. Cost like 5 bucks and I probably could've beat someone over the head with it and not dislodged anything.

But as for these Gravity Boot things, it looks like they're using these things: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/10-PACK-Neodymium-Disc-Countersunk-Hole_60712818925.html (assuming the facebook pic is indicative)

davent

Lee Valley sell these cup and magnet sets, startind at 1/4" that might be adaptable for use with the mounting screws of an enclosure.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/hardware/rare-earth-magnets/magnets/disc/58750-rare-earth-magnet-cup-and-washer-sets
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

madbean

I'm curious about the effects, if any, of using a bunch of magnets near DC current in pedals.

EBK

Quote from: madbean on May 05, 2020, 04:34:26 PM
I'm curious about the effects, if any, of using a bunch of magnets near DC current in pedals.
The current-carrying wires would experience a unmeasurably small amount of Lorentz force.  There would be some unmeasurably small Hall effects here and there, I suppose.  Now, if your magnets were constantly moving, it could be a different story.

Short answer: the magnets would not cause anything noticeable.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

madbean

Quote from: EBK on May 05, 2020, 06:36:32 PM
Quote from: madbean on May 05, 2020, 04:34:26 PM
The current-carrying wires would experience a unmeasurably small amount of Lorentz force.  There would be some unmeasurably small Hall effects here and there, I suppose.  Now, if your magnets were constantly moving, it could be a different story.

Short answer: the magnets would not cause anything noticeable.

So, you're saying my motorized magnetic pedalboard is a bad idea? Buzz kill.

electrosonic

Meh. Added complexity for too little benefit. Also using "proprietary cables" seems like a bad direction to pursue.

Andrew.

lars

Quote from: davent on May 05, 2020, 04:15:38 PM
Lee Valley sell these cup and magnet sets, startind at 1/4" that might be adaptable for use with the mounting screws of an enclosure.
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/hardware/rare-earth-magnets/magnets/disc/58750-rare-earth-magnet-cup-and-washer-sets
dave
Thanks for the link. That would be worth looking into, because I would still like to eventually use the metal shelf I have as a pedalboard, and have the convenience of being able to rearrange pedals with ease while not dealing with velcro.
The funny part of all of this is that MacBook Pro laptops have been using a magnetic power attachment for about 15 years now. There is nothing new or innovative or any kind of wow factor to this. I'm sure it was the Macbook Pro that gave them the idea in the first place. These pedalboard systems are a really expensive "solution" to a problem that didn't exist. If the focus had been on getting rid of velcro entirely...that would have been something.

EBK

Quote from: madbean on May 05, 2020, 06:59:58 PM
So, you're saying my motorized magnetic pedalboard is a bad idea? Buzz kill.
To the contrary, I'd happily contribute money to your R&D to see that.   ;D

gordo

Big geek factor but I'd be curious about this too.  It might be the epitome off laziness but I hate ripping pedals off my board to rearrange because I have them so heavily velcro'd
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

lars

cooder

Quote from: lars on May 06, 2020, 05:12:17 AM
Hmmm....
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YBBCJ5W?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1
Those magnets are indeed friggin' powerful... we have them in kitchen pantry to keep doors closed and they do have serious pull.
BigNoise Amplification