News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tips For Repairing Broken PCB Traces & Solder Pads

Started by FuzzMonkey, May 08, 2020, 06:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FuzzMonkey

I've been on a bit of roll at the moment repairing a number of commercially made guitar pedals.

One critical component in the power supply of one pedal, however, has a missing solder pad and broken trace. Possibly caused by a botched repair attempt. At the moment, I've got a jumper wire installed (crude but effective) to bridge the gap between the component in question and the next down the line.

My question is are there any thing more effective? I've seen the use of copper tape and conductive ink pens. Any other methods out there?

Thewintersoldier

I've tried different approaches especially some of the stuff from YouTube videos where  they do smd stuff. The most solid method I have had is the point to point style you did. Especially for power sections I would take solid over pretty. When fixing a deluxe reverb pcb I simply bent a cut off lead and looped the ends around both components to simulate a pcb pad. After it was soldered it was rock solid and it was not visible as it was on the back side. I trust that more than tape or something else flimsy.
Who the hell is Bucky?

FuzzMonkey