News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ferrite beads

Started by Thewintersoldier, May 08, 2020, 05:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

I was wondering if ferrite beads are polar. I'm building a deadendfx pedal and these are the ferrite beads in the build doc. https://www.rapidonline.com/murata-bl01rn1-a62-axial-ferrite-bead-inductor-26-4860
Anything I should know before I solder them in? It's my first project using them and my Google searches brought up slightly conflicting results. Thanks for any knowledge.
Chris
Who the hell is Bucky?

Govmnt_Lacky

I am assuming that you are working a Lovetone project...

The ferrite beads are used to cut down on RF interference noise in the circuit. I have used them and not used them on projects.

EDIT: By "not used them on projects" I mean that I have built Lovetones and not installed them where they are supposed to go. Never heard a difference. Only guitar though...

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on May 08, 2020, 05:52:52 AM
I am assuming that you are working a Lovetone project...

The ferrite beads are used to cut down on RF interference noise in the circuit. I have used them and not used them on projects.

EDIT: By "not used them on projects" I mean that I have built Lovetones and not installed them where they are supposed to go. Never heard a difference. Only guitar though...
I'm actually building a Hooke reverb, a spaceman Orion clone. The pads on the board are both circular so I'm assuming the aren't polarized. I bought them so I'm gonna use them. I guess they couldn't hurt even if I don't hear a difference.
Who the hell is Bucky?

jjjimi84

where did you get the mv-57b and the tda7052b? They are the last two parts i need.....

Bio77

I would guess non-polar.  It's a type of inductor, which are non-polar.   Also, looking at the different flavors of these, the SMD ones look like resistors, no markings to indicate direction.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jjjimi84 on May 08, 2020, 12:28:03 PM
where did you get the mv-57b and the tda7052b? They are the last two parts i need.....
The mv-57b i got from smaller when they reopened last month for those 3 days. The tda7052b I got off eBay, they are out there just not a lot from US sellers. I see China i.just assume fake
Who the hell is Bucky?

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bio77 on May 08, 2020, 01:01:07 PM
I would guess non-polar.  It's a type of inductor, which are non-polar.   Also, looking at the different flavors of these, the SMD ones look like resistors, no markings to indicate direction.
Thanks John, I was thinking along those lines. I don't see them often used in circuits so it being my first time I thought I should ask before I solder vs ask how to fix something later!
Who the hell is Bucky?

Betty Wont

They are not polar, and the $.06 ones from tayda work fine. They are just overkill rf filters.