News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fun Waterslide Question

Started by Timko, May 09, 2020, 11:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

Most of the enclosure I do are acid etched, but occasionally I do some waterslide.  In this case, I'm doing waterslide because the enclosure is so damn big (The Lola BiPhase from DEFx fits in a Hammond 1550G).  I wanted to try to do some things along all 4 sides as well as the top.  I've laid out a graphic in Inkscape for that, and was curious if it's more practical to put the graphic on as a single waterslide, or to waterslide each side separately as well as the top.  Since my decal work is minimal, I figure that someone has been crazy enough to try this with either great or awful results.

cooder

My vote would be for doing it in several pieces, top and sides separate. I did just a bigger than usual waterslide on my pinball multi I'm dabbling with and found it better to do the pieces individual, it also has part of labels on front, similar to your plan.
I found it also easier to adjust the water slide each those pieces which would have been more tricky if in one.
Just my two cents.
BigNoise Amplification

diablochris6

I would think one large decal would be difficult, especially around the corners of the enclosure. You'd have to cut squares in the corners of the decal for the sides to drape over properly, and even then, you might have part of the decal wrinkle or crease and pop up on those corners.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Timko

Thanks for the responses!  I think I'm going to do the top and front side as 1 waterslide as I borrowed the color/theme from the original Bi Phase (with blue going halfway down the enclosure), then do separate pieces for the other 3 sides. As a bonus, I don't have to print on legal size waterslide paper now!

jimilee

It will be difficult, but it sounds challenging. I'd take it on if it were me. I've done several 1590xx myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Timko

The good news is that the graphic tapers in when it goes down the side so I think there won't be any issue with the corners.  The trick will be how to apply pressure to both the top and the side to while the decal adheres to the paint.

Bio77

I've tried a single piece draped over the sides, mine came out kind of sloppy even with a poly coat.  You might want to check out the no-film decal paper for this.  It transfers just the ink, so, you can do a lot of pieces, one after the other.  It's kind of tricky though.

bcalla

I have done this once or twice and it worked out pretty good.  Sorry in advance for photobucket watermarks.  I need to find a new hosting site.

On these two I just did the sides, not the tops / bottoms.  https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=22914.msg224829#msg224829

On this thread you can see a couple more where I wrapped the sides only.  However, on "The Screamer" I used one decal to cover the top & all four sides.  I pulled it off with a single attempt - I figured I'd wind up going through 4-5 decals before I got it right.  https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=21510.msg212425#msg212425

davent

Quote from: bcalla on May 10, 2020, 03:34:26 PM
I have done this once or twice and it worked out pretty good.  Sorry in advance for photobucket watermarks.  I need to find a new hosting site.

On these two I just did the sides, not the tops / bottoms.  https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=22914.msg224829#msg224829

On this thread you can see a couple more where I wrapped the sides only.  However, on "The Screamer" I used one decal to cover the top & all four sides.  I pulled it off with a single attempt - I figured I'd wind up going through 4-5 decals before I got it right.  https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=21510.msg212425#msg212425

I can see your photos fine with no photobucket intrusions. Nice work!

Started using 'imgur' maybe a month ago, so far no issues. After photobucket tried postimage for a bit, their luster quickly wore off so holding my breath on imgur.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Willybomb

I tried waterslide on my Megatron TMK2601 build (1590DD), but kept loosing colour at the edges when the decal got wet, showing up the white base colour of the paper.  Went back to Datapol.