News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NPD -Iridium

Started by madbean, May 11, 2020, 01:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

One big inconvenience these last two months is I've found it really hard to find a good time to make new demos. My wife has constant video conferencing throughout the day so it never seems a good time to fire up the amp and make a lot of noise. Also, Radiophonic is doing weekly Ninjam sessions to get ready for the next record and a direct to audio option is really advantageous for that. So what better way to solve a problem than throw too much money at it?

Initial reactions: it sounds very good. Not perfect, but pretty excellent. I expected to like the Fender emulation the most but it turns out to be my least favorite of the options. I seem to like the Vox modeler the best. It's crisp, meaty and more than enough gain on tap. Plus, it takes pedals very well. I had synth and delay plugged directly into it this weekend and it sounded great. Also, the thing I like most about it is that it responds awesome to volume changes on the guitar. I could dial in a pretty hairy OD but then dial it back with the guitar and turn up the volume when I needed to.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it but I would love it more at $299 instead of $399. There are some settings where I can hear just a bit of rattiness (higher gain settings) that you wouldn't have on a real amp but it's not bad. I would have liked a slightly longer tail reverb IR option. The 250ms gets the job done, though. I don't find the different cab models to be that different from one another but I have yet to test a full range of pedals through it.

In any case, this should open up some new possibilities for me getting more demos done. It's light years beyond some of the conventional DIY cab sim options (to be sure I built one before I purchased the Iridium to make sure I actually wanted to spend the money). I'm hoping to do some future demos with backing tracks, too. Probably will make me want to practice once in a while!

jimilee

Nice. You're I. To the right workflow.

I can't tell you the last time I played through any of my 8 amps. Always someone bitchin about the noise. I use logic for everything. It sounds a whole lot cleaner than garage band. Lots of amp and can combos with options to move the mic around thy s speaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Willybomb

Been thinking about the Iridium.  I'm planning on getting an MS-3 for gigging purposes, and it's between this and the Mooer Preamp Live for midi controlled dirt.

playpunk

I bought an Iridium right when it came out, and have been using it for a few months in place of my Kemper (which I sold.)

I like the Iridium, I think the AC30 sounds are great (my bread and butter) and I've done very little tweaking and haven't replaced the IR's or anything.

Here's a IRL clip from our church service this past week. I am the amazingly handsome, muscular, and resplendently hirsute guitarist.

https://youtu.be/SW_YQTH59rE?t=39

DIY Pedals (naturally) and this is a bit dryer than I usually run my wet effects but it sounds fine in the mix.
"my legend grows" - playpunk