News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Modding a timmy (anything, really) for bass?

Started by Willybomb, May 12, 2020, 03:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

Gudday all.  Got a bloke wanting a "transparent od" for use with bass AND guitar...  So, I'm thinking a Timmy with a blend.

Here's part of the message:

QuoteI'm not looking at anything too crazy just a nice little transparent as possible od that I can use for bass predominantly but has enough tweak in the tone to be usable for guitar too ( maybe adding a 80-100hz knob if possible to fine tune for bass and guitar) and possibly having a boost channel/stomp button also with just a level and gain control,

None of that is too hard, really, but I'm wondering what I would be changing out to make it bass only without the blend - and would it be possible to switch those out on a toggle....?

SirEgno

I don't like overdrive with blend, instead you could use a cap in series with the clipping diodes and a potentiometer as variable resistor.
In a tube screamer I used 47n cap and a 50kB pot.

Better for me is a SHO with hard clipping stage and same capacitor/pot solution. (and also a volume pot).

Bio77

The Klon bass mod is one cap, so you could have a bass/guitar toggle.

I like blend knob idea (sorry SirEgno 8)).  I have a Nobles ODR-1 and a JMK Big Bass Drive on my board, both with blend knobs.  I think the blend is most useful for the ODR-1 (I use this one for high gain distortion like sound).  Maybe on an OD it's overkill.

Willybomb

I've had GREAT results using a blend with a modded Dist+ for bass.  Didn't like using the blend so much with the guitar, but for bass it kills.  One suggestion on FB was to include a low pass on the blend just to let the low stuff come through.  I think I'll do that, just using a treble cut pot.

Bio77

Quote from: Willybomb on May 12, 2020, 05:26:14 PM
I've had GREAT results using a blend with a modded Dist+ for bass.  Didn't like using the blend so much with the guitar, but for bass it kills.  One suggestion on FB was to include a low pass on the blend just to let the low stuff come through.  I think I'll do that, just using a treble cut pot.
Great, now I have to build a Dist+ with a blend  ::)  That sounds awesome.  I also like the low pass idea, interested to hear how it comes out. Do you have a favorite blend circuit you use? 

Willybomb

QuoteGreat, now I have to build a Dist+ with a blend  ::)  That sounds awesome.  I also like the low pass idea, interested to hear how it comes out. Do you have a favorite blend circuit you use?

Yep, I use the Y-Splitter from Paulinthelab.
Out 1 goes to the effect in
Out 2 goes to the Blend pot pin 1
Effect out goes to Blend pot pin 3
Blend pot 2 goes to the output.

SirEgno

this is what I was talking about:

and this is how it sounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_j0lhKfSz4
The switch is on C8, changes between 33n and 100n.