News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The IMP!!

Started by danfrank, May 11, 2020, 11:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfrank

Hi everyone,
Here's my IMP build, this one was tough to squeeze into the case. I added the buffered output like on the original instead of true bypass. That's what all the extra resistors are for on top of the foot switch. I also made the two 1uf caps mylar instead of electrolytic; mylars sound so much better.

madbean

That's really cool that you were able to fit the buffered wiring on there. Looking at it again, I wonder if I had extended the PCB on either side of the 3pdt if I could maybe have fit it in. Hadn't really thought of it until after I had them made.

cooder

And the first IMP is out of the gate....! Great squeeze indeed and nifty packing in there with the buffered bypass.
BigNoise Amplification

jimilee

I'm super impressed, nice job. How does it sound?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on May 12, 2020, 12:06:51 AM
That's really cool that you were able to fit the buffered wiring on there. Looking at it again, I wonder if I had extended the PCB on either side of the 3pdt if I could maybe have fit it in. Hadn't really thought of it until after I had them made.
If you were to make the board so that it mounted to the stomp, you'd probably have a little more room on that end, you'd have the ability to control where the resistors go. In the flavor of the byoc mini pedals so to speak. I think that, for a 1590 size pedal, that's a sharp design.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

danfrank

Yeah, I'm pretty amazed that MB was able to squeeze this project on a "A" sized board! I've never built one of these Klones with  true bypass, so I wanted to stick with what I knew. How many people think true bypass is better on one of these? I'll eventually get to making one with true bypass.
As for how it sounds; just like the Aion version I built many years ago, so I guess I did it right.  :)

madbean

I looked into this a bit further and I was able to find a way to do the layout with buffered bypass. It will accommodate a 3pdt but a dpdt would probably fit a little easier. The one caveat is it requires the two 68k resistors to be mounted on the footswitch.

I could maybe do it with the footswitch being board mounted. I'm just not sure about the proper clearances with wired jacks ATM.

jimilee

Nice. I'm excited to see it in action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jspake

very cool! i'm ordering parts for this at the moment. where did you find the dual gang 9mm 100k pot? small bear is the only place i can find it at the moment, and that isn't an option at the moment.

danfrank

I got it at Small Bear, when they opened up a few weeks ago. They'll probably be opening up again, at least temporarily, relatively soon. Probably in the next few weeks as soon as they have caught up on shipping all their outstanding orders. There website is up, but only for browsing their stock. I think they only have a minimal crew working there.

jspake

ok, i guess its good to know i'm not missing anything obvious. i've got it on my wishlist at small bear, i'm just waiting for them to open up to pull the trigger. i can get everything else loaded up (or work on other builds!) in the meantime. thanks for chiming in!