News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Carbon Comp v. Carbon Film in Mangler

Started by Chimo, May 21, 2020, 06:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chimo

I have all but one of the values (100k) of carbon comp resistors I need to finish my Mangler project and am wondering if I can use a carbon film in that slot without changing too much or rendering the project useless. I can eventually swap out for a carbon comp when I have the need to place an order for other items, but as it stands I just can't justify paying shipping for a single part.

Any thoughts appreciated, thank you!

jimilee

Are you talking about resistors?
Carbon comp are 5% tolerance, metal file are 1%. If nothing else it's closer to the correct value than than carbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

benny_profane

Carbon comp resistors have varying levels of tolerance. Carbon film is usually 5% and metal film is usually 1%. Unless you're going for a 'mojo' build and want it to look a certain way, there's no reason to use carbon comp over any of the film varieties.

Chimo

Thanks for the replies! Definitely just want a functioning pedal to play with. Looking forward to finishing the build!

benny_profane

Yeah, you're fine with whatever variety given that the value is correct. Go forth and fuzz.

Aentons

From what I understand the carbon comp resistor "mojo" perception is mainly due to the fact that they are noisier at higher voltages which tube amps use, but pedals do not, so go with what you've got. The way I think of it is kinda like vinyl records, they are terrible at what they actually are supposed to do, but in a very specific pleasing way that we are used to. On the flip side, you could also think of it like an instagram filter on a photo, it destroys the original full quality.

WormBoy

Quote from: Aentons on May 21, 2020, 09:03:38 AM
... it destroys the original full quality.
Well, that's the whole purpose of a fuzz, ain't it?  8) That said, I don't expect that anybody can hear the difference between carbon comp, carbon film and metal film resistors in a fuzz face (at the same resistance value).

alanp

My understanding... carbon comp are 10%, carbon film are 5%, and metal film are 1%, in general, with noise decreasing in that order as well.

Your pedal is going to sound a lot closer to spec with 1% than 10%. YMMV in valve amps, of course.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

Yeah, you're not going to be able to hear the difference, but you can feel the mojo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

ahiddentableau

When I read the first message I was going to post a link to that RG Keen article but Mich beat me to it!

Love me some RG Keen articles.