News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Very low-profile 1/4" plugs

Started by lars, May 22, 2020, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

I recently got an email from EHX that showed a picture of the Grand Canyon pedal, but I was most interested in the 1/4" plugs going into the pedal. These appear to be the lowest-profile straight 1/4" phone plugs I've ever seen. Who makes these? I tried to search the web, but no matter how you word it, the results are horribly incorrect. Amazon gave me a very useful link to "1/4 Jumbo plugs"...(yep, that's exactly what I'm looking for...OVERSIZED! *head pounding to desk*). The closest I could find are the Planet Waves DIY solderless 1/4" plugs. But even those look longer than the ones pictured.

Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

jimilee

Don't they normally use enclosed PCB mount jacks?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aleph Null

Those look a lot like Squarplug SPS5 or SPS4 to me. The squareplugs are soldered connections.

playpunk

Quote from: Aleph Null on May 22, 2020, 10:04:02 AM
Those look a lot like Squarplug SPS5 or SPS4 to me. The squareplugs are soldered connections.

The squareplug connectors are absolutely the best. I won't use anything else going forward.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

lars

Those Squareplug plugs do look really nice, probably the nicest 1/4" plugs I've seen. I'm going to have to look into those. But they still don't appear to be the ones in the EHX picture. The plugs in the picture have a knurled end with no set screw, and still appear to be even shorter than the Squareplug's.

Quote from: jimilee on May 22, 2020, 09:29:37 AM
Don't they normally use enclosed PCB mount jacks?
Yes, I think most new EHX pedals do, but in other pictures of the Grand Canyon, it appears to have standard metal 1/4" jacks, just like a guitar, which is why the super-short 1/4" plugs in the picture are so intriguing. Those could be a huge space-savings on pedalboards. I'm starting to wonder if these are a new EHX prototype and that they're going to get into making cables soon.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....