News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sonoluminescence.....?!?!

Started by tomasjjj, May 23, 2020, 08:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomasjjj

so, with all the being insideness at the moment, my minds been wandering a bit. years ago i learned about Sonoluminescence, and it blew my mind.

just been looking again at how to do it at home, and the principle is simple, but the gear and knowledge isn't!

however, there are now lots of cool online calculators to help narrow the parameters down to make it less laborious.

so, i was thinking, could one use a £20 signal generator (as opposed to a lab signal generator) a small tl702 based amp, (instead of a lab spec one) and then stick on a transducer. with the goal that this could be built into some sort of sweet coffee table centerpiece where you have a star in a jar!

maybe getting the whole thing onto one pcb, with the transducer attached for ease of assembly?!

EBK

I saw this demonstrated by a fellow student in one of my Physics classes in college.  Didn't get to see the actual luminescent part, but got to see a tiny bubble suspended by ultrasonic waves, which was cool enough.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

tomasjjj

pretty amazing what soundwaves can do!

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Aentons

You'll shoot your eye out kid

lars

Quote from: tomasjjj on May 23, 2020, 08:39:02 AM
so, i was thinking, could one use a £20 signal generator (as opposed to a lab signal generator) a small tl702 based amp, (instead of a lab spec one) and then stick on a transducer. with the goal that this could be built into some sort of sweet coffee table centerpiece where you have a star in a jar!
The Sonoluminescence overdrive. It's going to happen.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

somnif

I'll stick one next to my CryoCrunchy overdrive! (The best clipping occurs with the diodes chilled by liquid nitrogen, obviously)