News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PedalPCB.com Chicken Head

Started by jjjimi84, May 24, 2020, 08:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjjimi84

Here is my latest painted pedal, built on May 5th and painted only 19 days later on the 24th. This is a huge deal for me because usually I take forever to get anything done and it marks the first time I took pictures along the way to detail my steps with painting.

Here is the first step, I sketch the initial drawing using acrylic black paint and a 18/0 fine liner brush. I also do the lettering at this point.

Next up is the primary color that I fill in and hope to dry so I don't completely smudge it later, I also fill in around the lettering.

Next stage is filling in the other colors and the outer boarder of the lettering. I then took it upon myself to smudge the bottom right corner.

Here is the stage where i start the different shades and paint mixing to make it look less boring. I also did not like the color of the beak and changed that.

Final step is the line work, putting on the final touches and the last of the lettering.

Here is a better picture of the end result.

And the obligatory gutshot.

In total I think this took about two hours to complete, hope you all like it.

jimilee

Daaaammn! I wish I had half your talent. That looks fantatic!!!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

Looks awesome. I liked the project pics. "okay I guess, oh cool, oooh nice!"

jjjimi84

Thank you guys, kinda reminds me of that family guy episode where peter is wondering where his nuts are and realizes they are on his chin. Hindsight i guess, maybe I sjould change the title to nutsack chin chicken.

mjg

Awesome, I wish I could smudge paint with half your talent.   ;D

The end result is pretty amazing, regardless of what he has attached to his chin.

cooder

Lovely and great to see he steps, thanks for sharing! Apart from the spiffin art look how do you ike the sound of this and what transistor did you end up sticking in there (hfe/leakage like Rangemaster I guess?).
Cheers!
BigNoise Amplification

jjjimi84

Quote from: cooder on May 24, 2020, 03:23:59 PM
Lovely and great to see he steps, thanks for sharing! Apart from the spiffin art look how do you ike the sound of this and what transistor did you end up sticking in there (hfe/leakage like Rangemaster I guess?).
Cheers!

I love this circuit, it is the second one I ever built on a breadboard to try out, holds a special place in my heart. It sounds really good and is a nice boost, I like to use it to goose the front end of an amp and use my volume control to change my gain level.

I socketed transistors and auditioned a bunch before settling on this low gain (50) transistor labeled 106nu70.

m-Kresol

I always was impressed by your hand-painted pedals. The process pics really show what's going into this. Love it.

do you draw free hand, as in from your imagination or do you search for some pictures to work off?
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

jjjimi84

Quote from: m-Kresol on May 25, 2020, 12:04:48 PM
I always was impressed by your hand-painted pedals. The process pics really show what's going into this. Love it.

do you draw free hand, as in from your imagination or do you search for some pictures to work off?

Thank you very much, as for painting I do both. A lot of times I will stare at a pedal and think of something I want on there and search images on google and do a composite of a bunch of stuff and sketch something out. First one comes to mind is the madbean slow loris, I wanted an institutionalized rat and started searching and sketching ideas while setting at my desk.

Other times it comes to seeing silly little things on cereal boxes and what not and doing takes on them. I also have been reading comics my whole life and will snap pictures of cool images and use them for shadowing or shading effects and to get the form of something.

It has become a very long trial and error and a number of not so great pedalsthat might get repainted. As for the chicken head I found that image somewhere and had it saved in the folder, once the pedal was built I used that image as a basis for this.

Hexjibber

Awesome man, thanks for sharing your process! I've been thinking about trying my hand at some painting but really have no idea how to go about it so really interesting to see! Looks like you need a steady hand and a good eye, nice work!