News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How do I build 2 FS-5U footswitches in a 125B enclosure with LEDs?

Started by brucer, June 02, 2020, 09:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brucer

Hi all.

I'd like to build 2 separate Boss FS-5U footswitch circuits with externally powered LEDs and separate TS jacks into a single 125B enclosure. 

I'd be using this in the 2 FS-5Us>GA-FC>Katana 100 Head configuration shown on p. 8 of the Katana owners manual:

The difference is, I'd like the 2 separate FS-5U circuits in the picture to be in 1 enclosure and for them to each have their own (externally powered) LEDs and TS jacks.

As far as I can tell, the FS-5U footswitch is just a normally closed momentary switch attached to a TS jack, so I built one of those and it worked.

Then I put 2 of them into the same 125B enclosure, and it worked too.

But then I tried to add externally powered LEDs.  I thought that - because I want the LEDs to switch latching style (back and forth) while the switches themselves are momentary - it would require relays. 

So I tried using Softie 2 boards wired to the normally closed momentary switches like this:

Trouble is, it works as intended with no power, but when power is applied:
- the top switch triggers both LEDs
- the bottom switch triggers no LEDs

Guessing this probably has something to do with shared power or the Softie working by grounding to the enclosure ... but can anyone offer fixes or alternatives to get the outcome I'm after?

Thaanks!

mjg

I'd check whether it does what you want if you have the TS jacks not in the enclosure holes.  It might be the common grounding there, as you have suggested.

If it all works outside the enclosure, grab some insulated (plastic threaded) jacks instead.

alanp

The obvious lazy answer would be to use two Double Pole Single Throw momentary stomps. Have one side of the stomp going to the footswitch, and the other going to a LED (or LED circuit), with no electrical connection.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

brucer

Quote from: alanp on June 03, 2020, 01:26:00 AM
The obvious lazy answer would be to use two Double Pole Single Throw momentary stomps. Have one side of the stomp going to the footswitch, and the other going to a LED (or LED circuit), with no electrical connection.

Thanks Alan.

Wanted to try that, but having real trouble finding DPST momentary stomps. 

Tried using a different switch - SPDT On-(On) Momentary (solder) - but the Softie LEDs and the Katana response (effects loop on/off, external fx footpedal on/off) are out of sync (i.e., the LED is on when the effects are off).

Any suggested fixes or alternatives would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

brucer

Quote from: brucer on June 21, 2020, 11:07:11 AM
Quote from: alanp on June 03, 2020, 01:26:00 AM

Thanks Alan.

Wanted to try that, but having real trouble finding DPST momentary stomps. 

Tried using a different switch - SPDT On-(On) Momentary (solder) - but the Softie LEDs and the Katana response (effects loop on/off, external fx footpedal on/off) are out of sync (i.e., the LED is on when the effects are off).

Any suggested fixes or alternatives would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Don't worry!  Everyone relax!  I've got this one.  Solved!

It turns out ... (and I may be the last to know) ... that:
1. You can achieve the hard to find DPST momentary stomp switch's functionality by using one half of each side of a DPDT momentary stomp!!   It just requires some time with a multimeter and notepad to figure out which solder lugs provide "NO" function (for Softie) and which ones provide "NC" function (for Katana) ; and,

2. The LED and Katana effects are independent in my application, so if the Katana software has the effect on when you power up the Softie, the light will be out of sync with the effect.  Situation solved by saving Katana patches with effects turned off.