News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mike Fuller? [sensitive topic within]

Started by movinginslomo, June 07, 2020, 03:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

movinginslomo

Is it kosher to discuss recent events of Mike Fuller and Fulltone and it's cancellation from Guitar Center?

jalmonsalmon

But but... He is selling killer wah pots now!
I would never buy any of his pedals though and I think he really stuck is foot up his ass into his mouth now  :-\
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

Scruffie

Well known asshole acts like a rich tone-deaf well known asshole.

The world adds a slight correction.

What's to talk about? ;)
Works at Lectric-FX

DLW

Quote from: Scruffie on June 07, 2020, 09:22:16 AM
Well known asshole acts like a rich tone-deaf well known asshole.

The world adds a slight correction.

What's to talk about? ;)

Hahaha!!

gordo

Strange.  I missed all this.  Sounds like the lad might have had a belly full of beer and decided to play with the phone.  It's dumb shit like this that is the reason I'm not on any social media.  Or beer lately :-)
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Ben N

I think more is being made of this than it deserves. The aptly initialed MF has always been at best tactless, at worst an a-hole of the first order. The rant that he is being attacked for fits neatly into this long-time pattern, and, as noted, was probably helped along by a fair bit of lubrication, but it is no worse. It really shouldn't be twisted into signs of racism or some other uber-sin. He is pissed off about looters and vandals destroying small businesses, and about political leaders, in his view, failing to do anything about it, that's all. He certainly did not say anything untoward or unsupportive about George Floyd or victims of police violence generally or people of color; he also did not express anything but support for those demonstrating for justice. Even if his jabs at politicians were put in misogynistic terms, that was probably just MF being MF. Honestly, I really think this is much ado about not much.

Aentons

Quote from: gordo on June 07, 2020, 01:29:55 PM
Strange.  I missed all this.  Sounds like the lad might have had a belly full of beer and decided to play with the phone.  It's dumb shit like this that is the reason I'm not on any social media.  Or beer lately :-)

Ditto!

Some seem to be going the extra mile.
[youtube width=640 height=480]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgowthBCZLg[/youtube]

movinginslomo

There is someone offering to rehouse your OCD in a black painted hammond.
Anyways I always got the vibe he was kinda an asshole, as some youtube guitar tech personalities are as well (we know who they are, no need for more drama) so this was no surprise to me. I've heard people criticise his Harley's and Porsches.. I do think though in today's world if you are trying to reach a broad audience you need to keep your silence unless you really want to take sides and deal with the fallout. It's such a divided country. Even at work with customers I have to be super careful, even with the most basic of sentences.. even weather comments get an angry reply.

thesmokingman

I mean ... if you're going to mix it up with your customers, you get what you deserve. What it is about is pretty much immaterial to that.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

lars

Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

gordo

Ultimately, much ado about nothing.  Everything is a flashpoint these days.  I guess my normal troll-under-the-stairs approach isn't so bad after all.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

madbean

He could have easily made his point without unprofessional and caustic rhetoric, IMO. He did apologize but I guess his outburst cost him many many thousands of dollars from GC now. I like the Fulltone brand but this was probably a long time coming due to his reputation as a hothead.

matmosphere

Wow, he said some pretty terrible shit with about as much tact as a three month old who is overtired. I hate to say it, but unlike some, he's getting what he deserves.

aion

Quote from: Ben N on June 07, 2020, 01:42:30 PM
I think more is being made of this than it deserves. The aptly initialed MF has always been at best tactless, at worst an a-hole of the first order. The rant that he is being attacked for fits neatly into this long-time pattern, and, as noted, was probably helped along by a fair bit of lubrication, but it is no worse. It really shouldn't be twisted into signs of racism or some other uber-sin. He is pissed off about looters and vandals destroying small businesses, and about political leaders, in his view, failing to do anything about it, that's all. He certainly did not say anything untoward or unsupportive about George Floyd or victims of police violence generally or people of color; he also did not express anything but support for those demonstrating for justice. Even if his jabs at politicians were put in misogynistic terms, that was probably just MF being MF. Honestly, I really think this is much ado about not much.

I really, really, really, REALLY don't like Mike, and societally speaking, I'm 100% in support of the protests and the causes they represent  - but this was my same thought as well when I read his original post and his later apology. I love to see arrogance taking a faceplant as much as anyone, but he was misunderstood, although I suppose it's mostly his own fault.

He clarified what he originally meant, and while it was said with tactless language, he was really just saying that a lot of terrible people were getting away with looting while the good people were protesting. He wasn't conflating the two, but rather saying that the looting detracted from the cause. Which I think most of the protestors and their supporters would agree with - especially the ones doing everything they can to keep it peaceful.

benny_profane

I think that the emails that he sent in response to customers asking for him to tone down his initial statement are a big part of the issue here. The public-facing statement was a catalyst and part of the problem to be sure, though.