News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dual Drive Series/Parallel

Started by ogguitar, July 27, 2020, 03:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ogguitar

Hello all,

I'm doing a layout for a dual drive, and I'm hoping to have a switch that would allow for some routing choices. Each drive would have its own foot switch, but the toggle would select between 3 configurations for when both are activated
1) Drive A -> Drive B
2) Drive B -> Drive A
3) Parallel

I've been researching a fair bit yesterday and today, but I haven't found much out there. It's not so much "how to make this parallel" that I'm having trouble with, but "how can I have the option of running parallel or reversing order in series."

Cheers

matmosphere

I'm no expert but I would think this would be a little more complex than just a switch.  if you want to do them in parallel you'd need some kind of mixer to combine the signals at the output. It would probably require a small board and some thought about signal routing. I would say your best bet is to look at how to have them in parallel and work backward to figure out the switching.

Have you looked through AMZFX I'm guessing your answer might be there somewhere.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

ogguitar

Quote from: Matmosphere on July 27, 2020, 07:42:21 AM
I'm no expert but I would think this would be a little more complex than just a switch.  if you want to do them in parallel you'd need some kind of mixer to combine the signals at the output. It would probably require a small board and some thought about signal routing. I would say your best bet is to look at how to have them in parallel and work backward to figure out the switching.

Have you looked through AMZFX I'm guessing your answer might be there somewhere.

Yeah figured this would end up being the case, but not sure what the workaround would be. Will check out AMZFX thanks!

ogguitar

Quote from: jimilee on July 27, 2020, 08:48:37 AM
Interesting article

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/effects-projects/boosters/parallelyzer/

Also this if Diablochris has anymore

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7QeV_7r70dTUjdzWXBtdUF1aUU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had read a mention of diablochris in another thread but couldn't get any results from searches. Cheers!

diablochris6

Quote from: ogguitar on July 27, 2020, 09:33:38 AM
Had read a mention of diablochris in another thread but couldn't get any results from searches. Cheers!

I'm right here.

Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

ogguitar

I think I figured out how to wire the 3 way toggle switch, or at least one possible way. I've attached an image for anyone interested. Red goes to and from circuit A, Blue goes to and from circuit B. Green is a bridge. Orange/gold goes from input jack and to output jack (or blending circuit if needed). So with the 4PDT it's possible to get A->B at position 1, A+B at middle position, and B->A at position 3.

I'm pretty sure it should be possible to just connect the wires from 1 and 6 to 9 and 10, respectively. The way I drew it though helped me visualize the flow a little better. I guess the main thing now will be seeing what the circuits I'm using will need to work in parallel.