News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DirtBag Deluxe and the X-Vive MN3005

Started by Cybercow, June 07, 2020, 09:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cybercow

With the now available release of X-Vive's MN3005, will the DirtBag Deluxe be considered for putting back on the available for purchase list?
Cybercow - aka: Mark Davis

"Don't let your talent take you where your character can't keep you."

danfrank

Lol!
It's funny that you posted this as I emailed MB 3 days ago and asked him if he had any of these boards left! Maybe the interest here will get a run of boards made. Fingers crossed!

Aentons

I have 2 xvive 3005's that i'm itching to use so I'm definitely interested in the DB deluxe as well. Mainly because of the negative ground.

But...

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=29429.msg285244#msg285244
I probably could do a negative ground version for use with the Xvive. It's just not something I've thought about. But, it wouldn't be too hard to do one that runs on +18v. Maybe even a 3-chip version for a bit extra delay.

If a negative ground revamp of the TR is the better path, then I am more than willing to wait

jimilee

Isn't the total recall a remake of the dirt bag deluxe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

danfrank

Yes it is,
BUT
TR is a positive ground effect, DBD is a negative ground effect which lessens power supply issues.

Aentons

Quote from: danfrank on June 07, 2020, 07:29:19 PM
TR is a positive ground effect, DBD is a negative ground effect which lessens power supply issues.

I could imagine that both the + ground and 24v requirement is a deal killer for some. Unfortunately, it is for me.

From the TR build doc:
It's positive ground and it requires a wall-wart. There's no getting around it. If you want the true vintage DMM, you
have to design it to use a wall-wart or AC power plus a transformer. I use, and recommend, an actual EHX 24v
supply.

danfrank

Yeah, DBD could easily be powered by a standard 9 volt neg center supply and a charge pump for 15v regulated.
BTW, have y'all looked into the LM2937 and LM2940 series of LDO voltage regulators? Only need 0.5 volts over regulated output voltage to work. These would be much better suited for the Road Rage and other similar charge pump voltage doublers than the old LM7815 regulators. All my LT1054 doublers put out around 17.5 volts which is marginal with the 7815 regulator.

DLW

Quote from: danfrank on June 07, 2020, 08:51:34 PM
Yeah, DBD could easily be powered by a standard 9 volt neg center supply and a charge pump for 15v regulated.
BTW, have y'all looked into the LM2937 and LM2940 series of LDO voltage regulators? Only need 0.5 volts over regulated output voltage to work. These would be much better suited for the Road Rage and other similar charge pump voltage doublers than the old LM7815 regulators. All my LT1054 doublers put out around 17.5 volts which is marginal with the 7815 regulator.

VFE builds call for LP2950 LDO regulators.

Aentons

So did the DBD with a roadrage chargepump only run at at 15v?

Would there be anything stopping you from using 12v in and pumping up to 24v?

Scruffie

Quote from: Aentons on July 20, 2020, 10:19:01 AM

Depends if you like your $20 chips with a smoked flavouring.

Unless you mean for the regulator, in which case no, it should be okay at 24V.
Works at Lectric-FX

Aentons

Quote from: Scruffie on July 20, 2020, 11:46:41 AM
Quote from: Aentons on July 20, 2020, 10:19:01 AM

Depends if you like your $20 chips with a smoked flavouring.

Unless you mean for the regulator, in which case no, it should be okay at 24V.

Yep, just talking about external power into the regulator. I guess I'm just trying to understand why the need for 24v when it only really needs 15v. Isn't the extra 9v just wasted thru the regulator or does it play into the "true vintage" aspect in some other way that isn't obvious to an ambitious novice such as myself?

Edit: Sorry, just realized that it's not obvious that I am conflating the DBD and the TR into a single concept

Scruffie

Both versions technically only need 17V in to the regulator. But the Total Recall is based on the reissue DMM which used the EHX 24V regulator which unloaded puts out something like 30V, so yeah, most of it's just wasted.

The Dirtbag took + voltage relative to ground though, the Total Recall expects negative.
Works at Lectric-FX

Aentons

Quote from: Scruffie on July 20, 2020, 12:40:35 PM
Both versions technically only need 17V in to the regulator. But the Total Recall is based on the reissue DMM which used the EHX 24V regulator which unloaded puts out something like 30V, so yeah, most of it's just wasted.

The Dirtbag took + voltage relative to ground though, the Total Recall expects negative.

Thanks for the confirmation Scruf!

Flyrite

Heck, I believe I have an extra Dirtbag Deluxe board in the closet stash. Got two for me and my father but he bought a vintage Memory Man before I could finish his. Its populated and was working/biased just never put it in its case. Lol Had some trouble building them for sure but they were great pedals once up and running!

jimilee

Dang, I have both. You can always have more delays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.