News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bass compressor recommendations?

Started by Cyrial, June 07, 2020, 08:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrial

New guy here, I've bean looking around for a clean, compact compressor for bass guitar. The bearhug caught my eye but the link to the schematic is deprecated, and 1776 is closed for covid. Is there a revised bearhug, or something else you'd recommend?

Thanks

Edit: or does anyone have the stripboard schematic? I'm a total noob so I'm hesitant to try to reverse engineer it from the 1776 bom

SirEgno

I use the afterlife in my pedalboard as effect. It's compact ad do the job.

jimilee

Afterlife is great. For me, as a bass player, it feels like running in quicksand. The bear hug is fantastic, but after building an easy dozen compressors, I settled in the EHX soul preacher. This is all ironic because I got into building because I was looking for a good impression. I started with the opticomp at BYOC. I built several incarnation of the Ross compressor. Aion has a couple I am working on (well, need to start) now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

I second the Bear Hug. It's great. Built it from the layout on tagboard effects. Make sure to read through the comments though, there are some changes Suggested by Jon in there that improve it a bit.

Cyrial

Quote from: Matmosphere on June 08, 2020, 03:57:33 AM
I second the Bear Hug. It's great. Built it from the layout on tagboard effects. Make sure to read through the comments though, there are some changes Suggested by Jon in there that improve it a bit.

Thanks for pointing me to tagboardeffects!