News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Etched my first board!

Started by jimilee, June 08, 2020, 05:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

So what did I make? Why, a phaser of course. I have several of these MXR Phase 90s, now I have one that I etched. Sounds great, and compares very closely to my MXR phasers. The enclosure is all piratey and what not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Nice!! Looks great, but I'm surprised you did a phaser Instead of a compressor or something ;)

You're a braver man than I. I tried to etch one time and realized it wasn't for me.

gordo

Nice!  The floodgates are opening :-)
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

CodeMonk

Better than my first etch.
The etching part is easy.
Drilling the holes, HUGE PITA.

I get my drill bits here https://drillcity.stores.yahoo.net/newtuncardri.html
The Carbide bits last a long time, fiberglass tends to dull other drill bit materials rather quickly.
BUT, Carbide bits are fragile. Really easy to break, until you get the hang of it.
And they cost about $2 US each.

My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :
Dalton Jones Electronics: Chief Tinkerer

alanp

You're a braver man than me!

Although, if I'm honest, the number one reason I never want to etch is because I don't want to have to deal with disposing of used etchant.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

Quote from: CodeMonk on June 08, 2020, 11:52:08 PM
Better than my first etch.
The etching part is easy.
Drilling the holes, HUGE PITA.

I get my drill bits here https://drillcity.stores.yahoo.net/newtuncardri.html
The Carbide bits last a long time, fiberglass tends to dull other drill bit materials rather quickly.
BUT, Carbide bits are fragile. Really easy to break, until you get the hang of it.
And they cost about $2 US each.
You're not even kidding! I bought some carbide tips at Harbor Freight just to see if I was gonna do more. Thanks for the link, I'm gonna do some more.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

3tonesnd

Quote from: alanp on June 09, 2020, 12:04:53 AM
You're a braver man than me!

Although, if I'm honest, the number one reason I never want to etch is because I don't want to have to deal with disposing of used etchant.

You can use hydrogen peroxide + citric acid + salt. It's not toxic, and it wont spoil your clothes/furniture/sink)
If heated to 40-50C it is as effective as ferric chloride. The only downside - it cannot be reused)
Pardon my english

flanagan0718

Great job on the etch! I don't (want) to remember my first etch. I am 97% positive it didn't work. Also keep that used etchant...you can use it to etch enclosures too.

jjjimi84

Really great work, what prompted you to try etching?

Just curious, seems like a ton of work but looks super diy and awesome.

jimilee

Quote from: jjjimi84 on June 15, 2020, 05:55:50 PM
Really great work, what prompted you to try etching?

Just curious, seems like a ton of work but looks super diy and awesome.
Just one more challenge. I can build easy stuff, so I thought I'd challenge myself with harder build and finishes.