News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New project: Signal tracer/injection pen

Started by Thomas_H, June 11, 2020, 04:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas_H

Hi guys,

after some long silence I have put up speed again and I am trying out a few new things.
I set up a project to try out PCBA (PCB and Assembly) service.

I wanted to create something usefull, so knowing that a lot of support requests sooner or later have the question: "Did you use a signal probe to veryfy your circuit?" I created this:

Link to demovideo on YouTube:  https://youtu.be/C7YJBo8ySLI

Signal tracer/injector pen features:

• handy tool - thus the pen design
  • powered by 9V pedal source
  • switchable signal generator burst or alternating (950Hz/1050Hz)
  • switchable instrument (200mV) or line (2V) signal level
  • amplifier and mini loudspaker in(on) the pen
  • SMD components already soldered

Do you think this will be usefull for the community?

yours
Thomas
DIY-PCBs and projects:

gordo

In the teledata cable business they use a similar looking device paired with a tone generator. Commonly called a toner and wand, the toner injects a signal and the wand traces it. If I'm understanding your project, this does both?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

EBK

I've never used a tool like this, so I have a question:
I see one probe tip.  Do you have to pick one of inject/trace and find something else to do the other, or does this have a clip lead or something to handle the signal injection function? 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Thomas_H

The device does both. It injects the signal via clip and you tip the pen to the trace/solder joint to hear if it is there.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

movinginslomo

That actually looks handy and much easier than trying to find a signal source, patch together your own cable with a alligator clip, paper clip and half of a 1/4 cable

matmosphere

Thomas_H

Added link to youtube demo video: https://youtu.be/C7YJBo8ySLI

Let me know what you think!

Thomas
DIY-PCBs and projects:

EBK

This is a very cool tool, indeed!  Is your test signal a square wave (triangle would be a nice bonus)?

Do you have a target price point?
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

gordo

Oh, I get it.  Yeah, that's very slick.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

nzCdog

jimilee

Yeah, that is really a neat idea. Plus, I get more how to read a signal path in a schematic.

Would that be a pen you sell as a unit or a DIY project?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thomas_H

Test signal currently is a square wave.
Unit would be prepopulated with SMD parts and you need to solder the switches and loudspeaker yourself.

I am aiming below USD 20 for the kit.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

zombie_rock123

I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

Rockhorst

Quote from: movinginslomo on June 11, 2020, 07:13:22 AM
That actually looks handy and much easier than trying to find a signal source
Use a looper

somnif

Quote from: Rockhorst on June 12, 2020, 12:47:55 AM
Quote from: movinginslomo on June 11, 2020, 07:13:22 AM
That actually looks handy and much easier than trying to find a signal source
Use a looper

I use a teeny tiny little white noise generator circuit via alligator clips to the input. Doesn't do much more than hissssss into the thing, but it's enough for me to tell if sound is making it through. Not super great for delay type circuits, admittedly, or really anything where the attack and decay of a note are important, but I'm lazy and it's done its job so far  8)

And of course, my oh so high tech signal probe.

This new device... yeah it seems somewhat more "fully featured" shall we say  ;D