News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sagan Delay V2.1

Started by jjjimi84, June 15, 2020, 02:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjjimi84

Here is my Sagan Delay V2.1, picked the board up from carcharias effects and the mind of diablochris. This is such an incredible delay and a challenging build but worth every second. If you don't know about it, it uses three pt2399 chips to simulate a RE-201 and has toggles for every head plus a great buffer circuit and modulation and kill dry....... the list goes on and on. Such a cool delay and it is easy to great sounds out of it. I build this fairly stock except for the modulation circuit, I found it to be really seasick and not what I would prefer. I pulled out the original LDR and swapped it with a different one (which eludes me at this time) and then kept the leads really long to pull it back and test out what worked. As you can see from the pictures it is way back but it makes the modulation on the repeats subtle and beautiful.

I tried using an airbrush for the first time with this pedal and the results were really mixed. The final outcome is actually the third attempt. Getting the paint consistency right and using the right technique has really been a challenge. What I did is print out on card stock the original artwork and cut out the different colored sections and then tried blowing them on the enclosure, that took three tries to get right and in the end you can still see some of the green that misted over in the mod section. Once the white and green were down I hand painted the lettering and lines and silver, it turned out okay and was a nice change of pace instead of painting monsters and weird shit.

I hope you all like it

cooder

Epic build and nailed the graphics! Very nice! That looks like a pretty deep box or is it just the wide angle lens?
BigNoise Amplification

jimilee

Nicely done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jjjimi84

Quote from: cooder on June 15, 2020, 05:05:31 PM
Epic build and nailed the graphics! Very nice! That looks like a pretty deep box or is it just the wide angle lens?

I am pretty sure it is a 1590c, like a real deep 1590bb

Thewintersoldier

looks great Dan, I have one of these coming down the pipe along with a multiplex delay. Cant wait to make some real spacey noise. Your builds are looking really clean.
Who the hell is Bucky?

cooder

Just noticed that the LDR is standing a bit aloft away from the LED there, is that the best position for it by design or by your trials or just as it happened? Does it also catch light from the green LED that is in the socket?
BigNoise Amplification

jjjimi84

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on June 15, 2020, 06:31:37 PM
looks great Dan, I have one of these coming down the pipe along with a multiplex delay. Cant wait to make some real spacey noise. Your builds are looking really clean.

Both delays are epic, you are going to have a great time.

Quote from: cooder on June 15, 2020, 08:16:36 PM
Just noticed that the LDR is standing a bit aloft away from the LED there, is that the best position for it by design or by your trials or just as it happened? Does it also catch light from the green LED that is in the socket?

That is the best position for me, I purposely soldered it with a lot of room to keep pulling it back to where i like it.

I had some shrink wrap around that green status led and it was removed when I pulled everything out and I never put it back on. It may add something but it seems fine.

MTK

Great job man. I'm working on a Sagan as well. It's an awesome effect.

Yahoo67

Holy cow !! I didn't realize that there was a pcb store that sold this project ! I just ordered 2 sets :D!!
Great build !!

diablochris6

Solid! Yeah, the modulation can get pretty wild. I have my LDR angled so it doesn't have direct LED light hitting it. It's pretty trial and error to find your personal sweet spot. Glad you enjoy it!
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

jjjimi84

Quote from: diablochris6 on June 17, 2020, 09:30:02 AM
Solid! Yeah, the modulation can get pretty wild. I have my LDR angled so it doesn't have direct LED light hitting it. It's pretty trial and error to find your personal sweet spot. Glad you enjoy it!

Honestly, you hit it out of the park with this. The preamp sounds good and the delay sounds are out of this world. Super happy, going to order a couple more to build.

Fyi I have the vomit comit half done, cant wait to try that thing out.