News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TS PG-3 Overdrive Pedal

Started by Axldeziak, June 18, 2020, 05:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axldeziak

Recently I found a bunch of guitar related things on the curb during my town's yearly junk day. There was a couple of small practice amps, Fender tuner, Realistic amplifier, cables, ect. Unfortunately, it was all in a five gallon bucket full of stank swamp water. Yeah, that was frustrating.
Anyways, I took the lot home, disassembled it all, and gave it a scrubbadub with a hose and a bristle brush out on the sidewalk. Amazingly, I got it all working.
One of the practice amps I found was a TS PG-3 Overdrive. It's one of the generic 3w amps you see with names like First Act, Ammoon, Aroma... The speaker was ruined and I wanted the 386 power amp for another project, so I dissected the overdrive circuit and built a pedal out of it. I added a switchable voltage doubler for fun and it worked pretty well.
Below is the schematic I drew up from the OD and the box I put it all into. The box is wood, originally a 80's Polo gift box with a slide-out lid. I covered it all in black patent leather and used the corners and rails from a busted storage box to dress it up a bit.

Axldeziak

gordo

Wow, nice job!  What a cool idea.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Damn yo, you win teh intertubz for today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Axldeziak

I'm glad ya'll liked it. I gave the pedal away but it was fun to mess around with while I had it.

If anyone has one of these PG-3 amps, please take a moment and see if yours has the value of the unknown capacitor listed on my schematic. All mine had was the polarity marked.

Also, does anyone know a source for the L channel rails I used on the box? I found the manufacture online but they only sell it by the ton ($2,100-$2,500). I don't quite need that much...

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Axldeziak

TGP39

You are a better DIY man than me.   I would have looked at the stank swamp water and kept on walking.   ;D
This is really impressive.  I admire your ability to see beyond the 'junk' and create something fantastic.  Kudos.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

MrBill

I suspect the pin out of the transistor is different from how you drew it here. From the spec, the pins are 1=E, 2=C, 3=B. As drawn, it looks like you interpreted them as 1=C, 2=B, 3=E. I redrew the schematic with the revised pin out and it makes more sense now as a two stage amplifier into a twin-T tone control and volume.

Yes, this is two years old, but I've done a lot of mods on these amps and stumbled into the thread.

MrBill

Here is my redraw of the schematic. I have not opened up the amp to confirm this, but a two-stage NPN preamp should look like this... Also, the unmarked capacitor is likely a 0u01 based on the similar Marshall schematic which this one is probably copied from.