News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

JHS Panther Delay

Started by jtn191, November 26, 2011, 03:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtn191

just got a notification on FB about this http://www.jhspedals.com/jhspedals/JHS_PANTHER.html

Confusingly abbreviated jacks galore  :o :o :o

nzCdog

petesz

gtr2

His price point is ridiculous.  $500   :o
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jkokura

I think it's supposed to be comparable to the Diamond unit, in which case the price isomer reasonable.

Development alone must have been very expensive. I haven't seen/heard clips, but feature wise it's very impressive.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

cjkbug

Quote from: gtr2 on November 27, 2011, 01:19:06 PM
His price point is ridiculous.  $500   :o
not at all,  very comparable to the tap tempo memory man and memory lane 2, it's hand built and since it's not made in huge volume I doubt he could sell it for much less. the echoczar is way more expensive than that.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

gtr2

Yes, but both the memory lane 2 and tap tempo memory man each have 4 mn3005's.  The panther has 4 v3205's.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

aziltz

Quote from: jkokura on November 27, 2011, 02:45:01 PM
I think it's supposed to be comparable to the Diamond unit, in which case the price isomer reasonable.

Development alone must have been very expensive. I haven't seen/heard clips, but feature wise it's very impressive.

Jacob

expensive in that, JHS probably paid someone to do it.  If you've seen their other clones, I mean designs, you will probably see what I mean.

sorry for the sour post, but I don't like JHS.  they clone and rip off quite a lot of people, all while pretending they have these great new designs.

jkokura

Quote from: gtr2 on November 28, 2011, 11:35:40 AM
Yes, but both the memory lane 2 and tap tempo memory man each have 4 mn3005's.  The panther has 4 v3205's.

Josh

True, and it's pretty likely that when EHX and Diamond got their chips they weren't much more expensive than the V3205's are now.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jtn191

Quote from: aziltz on November 28, 2011, 01:58:21 PM

sorry for the sour post, but I don't like JHS.  they clone and rip off quite a lot of people, all while pretending they have these great new designs.

I understand man, I originally posted this as half "wow" and half "look, they're competing with Strymon/EHX".

Ripping off everyone is kind of the state of the industry. Almost every company has a tube-screamer-alike...ZVex's Octane is pretty much a Superfuzz/Ibanez Standard fuzz/etc. The guitar products market is so steeped in the past/all things vintage--it's like everybody wants old stuff but better. Making a name for yourself and exploiting it is the name of the game...and I don't see JHS as being any better/worse cred-wise than Keeley or Analogman.

They're merely what we could do if we had a huge budget and a bunch of dudes thinking we're some kind of deity

gtr2

Quote from: jkokura on November 28, 2011, 04:57:14 PM

True, and it's pretty likely that when EHX and Diamond got their chips they weren't much more expensive than the V3205's are now.

Jacob
Yeah. probably a back warehouse at EHX that has all their "rare" stuff in it.   Like Area 51  :-X  

Wouldn't it be funny if all these "old" mn3005's that are surfacing are really being produced as we speak.  Maybe not Diamond, but I would think EHX would have enough pull to manufacture a run of them for a build.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Scruffie

Quote from: gtr2 on November 28, 2011, 06:54:53 PM
Quote from: jkokura on November 28, 2011, 04:57:14 PM

Jacob
Yeah. probably a back warehouse at EHX that has all their "rare" stuff in it.   Like Area 51  :-X  

Wouldn't it be funny if all these "old" mn3005's that are surfacing are really being produced as we speak.  Maybe not Diamond, but I would think EHX would have enough pull to manufacture a run of them for a build.

Josh
They're all pulls from Karaoke machines, they're main intended purpose/market, i've always wondered what happened to all the Karaoke machines that contained them and why they weren't being salvaged (as i'm sure they're not in use any more) and it seems someone caught on to this.

Yes EHX probably would have enough cash to manufacture them... they're currently using 4 x 3008s instead and getting 550ms delay for the Deluxe Memory Man W/Tap Tempo after being burnt by the 3005s they bought but they said they were going to use these untill they 'found the chip that allows them to' get 1second... they may be weighing up if it's worth it... probably not, but they do produce the majority of the worlds supply of tubes.

I think people asked Cool Audio if they intended to produce any other chips from the old Panasonic line and they had no plans to... just isn't the market and once again, guitarists like a standard 9V power supply so producing the 320X line just makes more sense.

Works at Lectric-FX

gtr2

Interesting.  I was thinking the 3005's were mostly in vcr's.  I never thought of karaoke machines.  I'll have to check some garage sales next summer.
  :)

I didn't know that they were using the 3008's for the TTDMM.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

Quote from: jtn191 on November 28, 2011, 06:51:10 PM

They're merely what we could do if we had a huge budget and a bunch of dudes thinking we're some kind of deity

I think a lot of people here would go about it differently than JHS does. This Panther thing is the exception, of course.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: gtr2 on November 28, 2011, 07:09:53 PM
Interesting.  I was thinking the 3005's were mostly in vcr's.  I never thought of karaoke machines.  I'll have to check some garage sales next summer.
  :)

I didn't know that they were using the 3008's for the TTDMM.

Josh

I bought one from another forum dude, on another forum, who said his source was someone who pulled from a karaoke machine. I sourced it for the Aquaboy I have in line right now. I have no idea if it is legit, but the guy who bought it says he tested and it is. I don't mind telling what I paid....$20. If legit, whooo hooo !!  If not, and in the infamous words of a pirate, any pirate really, ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH.

But, I was willing to take the chance.
John