News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Airwolf - dual channel X88r with treble booster...

Started by Willybomb, June 20, 2020, 01:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

Gudday all, here's Airwolf.  It's based on Sensei Tim's X88r layout at the tagboard forums, but as usual I couldn't leave well enough alone so I added dual channel switching and a preboost in the form of Tayda's boost pcb wired up for a standard treble boost.

Original thread: http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Soldano-X88R-preamp-td28669.html

I had previously stacked it with my Superjudge+ in testing because it didn't seem to have enough dirt and really liked that combo, so I made a clean boost Superjudge with a bandpass (400-3k) and volume only.  For some reason, this combo squealed when in the box, so I tried it with Leviathan's treble booster and loved that.  I knocked up a Brian May Treble Booster and found that it added way too much noise, so I waited out for Tayda to get some stock in and build a BMTB from one of their pcbs.  Given the amount of noise this added, I figured I must have used the standard TB that can be build from that PCB, so made of of those....  It's still not as quiet as the one in Leviathan, so work that out.

Anyway, the boost is probably a bit of a waste, but it does tighten up the bottom end while adding saturation (and dropping a pinch of volume, surprisingly).  Probably best used as "alway on" if you want that sound.  It's ok.  It does that "Youth gone wild" rhythm thing pretty well.

First time I've done 3 footswitches in an NS sized box.  Haven't played it enough yet to see if I'll stick with DDs for that.  Knobs are from Wish.

Willy.

mjg

Wow, I haven't thought about Airwolf since...the 80s I guess!

Nicely done.  Are those little SMD boards for the jfets?

jimilee

Jan Michael Vincent, whatever happened to that guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

Yes! Airwolf was my jam back in the day.  Build looks awesome!

Willybomb

QuoteAre those little SMD boards for the jfets?

Yep.

QuoteJan Michael Vincent, whatever happened to that guy?

Died last year.

QuoteBuild looks awesome!

Thanks!