News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Slambox and Zombii Mods

Started by youngstownguitar, November 26, 2011, 12:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngstownguitar

I have a couple PCBs from awhile back that I would like to use now.  I see some notes on the project PDFs that I am curious about.

MOD 1- I see the Zombii v4 notes says "From Matt Palmer: Change C1 to 22uf and C4 to 47uf for a beefier sound!"   So who is Matt Palmer and does this work? Has anyone tried it?  I love the zombii that I have but I do keep an EQ after it to add some bass to it- it would be great if these mods would make that EQ unnecessary.

MOD 2 - From the slambox v4 PDF  "If you find this effect too bright, try subbing smaller values for R1 and R2. A 2M2 is a reasonable alternative."  That sounds cool to me as I do find it a bit bright.  The problem is that I have a slambox v3 PCB which is a bit different than the v4.

The resistors from v3:
R1 1M
R2 10M
R3 10M
R4 5k1
R5 47k
R6 2k2

and from v4
R1  10M  
R2  10M 
R3  5k1 
R4  47k 
R5  4k7 

So if I want to try this mod with a v3 PCB which resistors should I change out to 2M2s?  I would guess R2 and R3 but this is just a guess.  I bet there are people here that actually understand this stuff that will know exactly what to do.

Any help is appreciated guys- thanks.

petesz

i built a zombii with switchable input and output caps from the stock to that matt palmer mod and couldn't notice any difference between the two modes. doesn't mean you shoudn't try it though! if you would prefer it too be more bassy then thats the obvious thing to do.

junkemail86

You are correct, the 2.2M resistors can be subbed for the 10M resistors (R2 and R3 on the v3 board).  Somebody with more experience can chime in, but I don't think that will make a big difference.

LaceSensor

You can socket c1 on the zombii I found that it made a difference,even 100uF is worth a pop

youngstownguitar

Quote from: LaceSensor on November 26, 2011, 12:57:13 PM
You can socket c1 on the zombii I found that it made a difference,even 100uF is worth a pop

Oh yea? I hadn't thought of that... You mean put a socket in there and that way I can swap out different values of capacitors?

LaceSensor

absolutely correct. then when you find a couple you like, go to the next level and have them switchable for different tones on the fly.

Have fun!