News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I want to try new enclosure size

Started by JackSkellington, June 23, 2020, 07:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackSkellington

Hello guys.
I usually use for my pedals, like all of us, 1590B and 1590BB type box. And 125B of course, but I don't know why these are now even more expensive than before. I started to use 1590A size for little cricuits.
I'm searching some alternative size box.
What about:
- 1550B. slightlty bigger than a B size (115x64x30mm)
- 1590G. slightlty smaller (and lower) than a B size (100x50x26mm)

If the B size it's just a bit smaller than we need a 1550B could be good.

Who had never use the 1590G? Is too narrow?
I assume we can't install the input and output jack, but a bit like the 1590A. I afraid this take away too space.
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

davent

I put a Bazz Fuss in a 1590G years ago, had to offset the jacks like with an 'A' and had to be careful with the the switch the box being so shallow.

Brian has a number of projects designed for the 'G'.

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/_folders/1590G/pdf/1590G_BuildGuide.pdf
https://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/index.html

dave
edit
I can still see old photobucket pics so i'll try... did change the stomp to a much shorter Alpha which protrudes no higher then the knob.

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=8407.msg72926#msg72926
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

JackSkellington

Thank you. I didn't think to see in the project page, there's some 1590G project in there, indeed.
The important thing about the footswitch is that the height is not a problem. I can buy an Alpha stompswitch llater if I want.
I guess open frame should be ok, too. (I used to buy those for my first attempt of a pedal or some pedals I don't like but I want to keep saving some money).
Sometime I buy Rean open frame jack, occasionally Lumberg.

Anyway, I decided to consider the 1590G box not like a smaller 1590B but as a bigger 1590A. :)

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

JackSkellington

Quote from: alanp on June 23, 2020, 03:13:19 PM
https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/small-case/general-purpose/500-515-519

For when you really want posh.

I'd like to use something like this. I though about something like this to do somehow a sort of three channel, maybe four, with some overdrive and distortion circuits and to use that kind of box, just bigger.
I never get one of this, but I afraid the layer is a bit thin, it's made for "console" not to stomp it, I think.
Is it not too soft to use it with footswitches?

alanp

If you want to drill steel, that's entirely up to you :)

If you're worried, I'd say get a small one for a fuzz or delay, and test the principle with a small one.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Stomptown

I'm not a big fan of the 125B so the 1550B is a pretty good alternative for PCBs that are a smidge wider than a 1590B.  However, 1550 series enclosures have thinner walls compared to the 1590 series, which is not ideal. Not a deal breaker for DIY, but I'd be a little nervous to sell a pedal built in one.

JackSkellington

1550 series thinner walls? This is new for me. :o

matmosphere

Quote from: Stomptown on June 24, 2020, 12:07:10 AM
I'm not a big fan of the 125B so the 1550B is a pretty good alternative for PCBs that are a smidge wider than a 1590B.  However, 1550 series enclosures have thinner walls compared to the 1590 series, which is not ideal. Not a deal breaker for DIY, but I'd be a little nervous to sell a pedal built in one.

I'm with you, the 1590b is my favorite size. If it won't fit in one I'd rather do a 1590bb than a 125b honestly.

davent

Quote from: Stomptown on June 24, 2020, 12:07:10 AM

So far in checking Hammond datasheets i've failed to spot a wall thickness dimension, i did come across the 1550Z series that are listed as 'thick wall'. I'll keep searching for that dimension...
dave
edit
1550Z, wall thickness 2.6mm...

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1550Z101.pdf

Still failing in finding the 1550 wall thickness but the datasheet drawing shows a much thinner wall than the 'Z's.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

JackSkellington

davent, are you serching this? http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1550B.pdf I'm not dure, I can't read the thickness of the wall.

I have to say I like 125b, even it's a bit taller than other boxes. Sometime 1590BB is oversized, so 125B it' ok for me.

I used to buy enclosure from Musikding. Some weeks ago the 125B passed from 7,00 € to 6,90 €. Good! But now is 7,90 €! :o I can buy some coloured 125B there for the same price.

I start to think if I have to buy 125B from Aliexpress. ::)

davent

Quote from: JackSkellington on June 24, 2020, 10:30:19 AM
davent, are you serching this? http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1550B.pdf I'm not dure, I can't read the thickness of the wall.

I have to say I like 125b, even it's a bit taller than other boxes. Sometime 1590BB is oversized, so 125B it' ok for me.

I used to buy enclosure from Musikding. Some weeks ago the 125B passed from 7,00 € to 6,90 €. Good! But now is 7,90 €! :o I can buy some coloured 125B there for the same price.

I start to think if I have to buy 125B from Aliexpress. ::)

I was just randomly sampling datasheet pdf's from the Hammond 1550 page and like with the one you linked couldn't find the thickness information.
dave

Stomptown

I was hoping to provide actual data but I'd couldn't find anything in the data sheets either.  I can tell you for certain the 1550Bs I've purchased have noticeably thinner walls.

Yahoo67

Humm it looks like the 1550b might be a good alternative to a 1590b but it doesn't look cheaper so I dunno if it's worth it :/. I personally got addicted to 125b enclosures this pass year! Top mounted Jack's plus all the room you need to put in a audio transformer or big ass electro caps is just too good to pass !

As for the slope console type one you should try It. I got some but never really pulled the trigger on what to put inside. It does feels a bit flimsy in my hand, but still usable... Just don't expect it to stay in a pristine state xD . The best comparaison I can make is a old big box big muff... If you ever used one for a couple of years you know that the slope get pretty banged up, it feels pretty much like that.