News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

This made me smile

Started by matmosphere, June 26, 2020, 08:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

I'm not a huge Gwar fan or anything, never listened to them much, but I have always thought they were amusing. There was a great story about a show Gwar playing a show in my hometown and having a run in with a bingo tournament at a church up the street. It was a long time ago and I don't remember the details other than it was hilarious.

This too is pretty funny

https://www.spin.com/2020/06/gwars-oderus-urungus-statue-petition-replace-robert-e-lee-richmond/

Muadzin

I find it anything but funny. Well, kinda, but it was one thing when Islamic hardliners were tearing down statues and smashing them up in Afghanistan and Syria, to see it happen here in the West is terrible. As a former student of history it breaks my heart and make me fear for more crazy is to follow.

matmosphere

Sorry my intent was not to offend. I thought it added a bit of levity to the whole situation.

There is certainly conversations to be had about these things though. History is important but you can't remove these things from the historical context of why, and when they were put there.

diablochris6

I'd prefer a statue of Oderus over Baphomet as long as it had a fully functioning Cuttlefish of Cthulu.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

thesmokingman

I'm not sure you can equate Islamic hardliners destroying antiquities with Americans correcting the error of allowing Lost Cause imagery in the public space ... That 50 foot tall Confederate battle flag at the intersection of I-75 and I-4 that I have to pass every work day isn't a celebration of history or heritage.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX