Author Topic: Mini mu zener value  (Read 235 times)

gordo

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
    • Project Website
Mini mu zener value
« on: June 27, 2020, 07:43:03 PM »
I went thru the patreon docs but can't find any reference to the zener in the switchboard for the Mini Mu project.
Gordy Power
On lockdown outside of Chicago

madbean

• Administrator
  • Electron Doctor
  • Brian
    • View Profile
    • madbeanpedals
Re: Mini mu zener value
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 07:51:40 PM »
A 12v is fine.
No matter where you go, there I am. Watching you.

Aentons

• Electron Doctor
  • ^^^^^^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 08:04:07 PM »
A 12v is fine.
Did you mean 16v? That's the one most of them use. The VFE site has the power listed as 9-15v

irvmuller

• Diode Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 08:56:03 PM »
I put an 18v on there before reading this. Will that work or do I need to go ahead and change it?

madbean

• Administrator
  • Electron Doctor
  • Brian
    • View Profile
    • madbeanpedals
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 09:23:17 PM »
Did you mean 16v? That's the one most of them use. The VFE site has the power listed as 9-15v

The TC7662B has a maximum operational voltage of 15v. So, if you have a well regulated 15v supply and plan on using that then a 16v Zener is appropriate. If you only plan on ever using a 9v supply, then a 12v is sufficient enough.

I put an 18v on there before reading this. Will that work or do I need to go ahead and change it?

Using an 18v zener will not protect the chip against over-voltage should you plug in an 18v adapter. However, if you are generally careful and only ever use 9v then you probably do not need to replace it. It's just a question on how much you trust yourself :)

I will update the switching doc to include the correct zener value for the MiniMu.
No matter where you go, there I am. Watching you.