News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Flintlock flanger

Started by Thewintersoldier, July 19, 2020, 01:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

This is my fourth flanger build, and the only one I've built that I hadn't already owned. Because of this, I was thrown for a loop. The build was very straightforward. I built the board, tested the voltage, put the ICs in and it fired right up. Easy part is over. As many have experienced with this build, biasing is somewhat of a challenge. In my case it was made worse because I've never played this pedal, and have no idea what a properly set up pedal sounds like. To make matters worse, I had no idea  the controls were so interactive and complex. This is not like any Flanger I have played before.
   After many videos explaining the controls and the sounds it can make, and after watching the moosapotameous videos on biasing I feel like I finally got it sounding like it's supposed to. This thing is like the Swiss army knife of flangers. I've spent a lot of time with it learning how it works and I feel like I've only scratched the surface of what it can do. Also it was a tight fit in the box. This build has been really educational for me and I'm ready for the next challenge.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

diablochris6

Great job. That build is tight, isn't it?
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

jimilee

Nicely executed. That board has got all kinds of stuff on it. I love the lectric-fx stuff but, they're a biasing nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

They aren't that bad. (Said the man with a scope.)

Nicely executed!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

cooder

Excellent build and yes it fits snug! Well played Sir!
BigNoise Amplification

Scruffie

Tidy! And yeah, it's not a BF-2... unless you want it to be.

Quote from: jimilee on July 19, 2020, 03:50:16 PM
I love the lectric-fx stuff but, they're a biasing nightmare.

So I hear you saying, you want us to release builds with more trimmers?
Works at Lectric-FX

jimilee

Quote from: Scruffie on July 19, 2020, 04:45:38 PM

Uhhh yessir. More knobs switches and trimmers would be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Scruffie on July 19, 2020, 04:45:38 PM

How about some of the maxon/Ibanez 9 series like the CS9 and FL9? You can have my money now

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

jjjimi84

Really nice work, I am in a similar spot. Built mine ages ago messed around with calibration and my patience ran out. It is currently in the to do pile.....

somnif

I have mine, but alas Tayda parts meant I was never able to actually get the full sweep out of it. I can get the slow side but then it won't go high enough, or visa versa. Still works, and if I didn't know better I'd say it was lovely, but it has always just bugged that little bit....  :-[

One of these days I'm going to build another one with actual decently spec'd parts and some 25 turn trimmers wedged in there to save my sanity.

danfrank

Multi turn trimmers really help with the 2 clock adjust trims and the auto trim.
The Moosapotamus videos really help with calibration.

Bio77

That's killer, great job!  First time through this one was a big challenge for me and I learned a lot.  One of my favorite builds.

Bret608

Seriously awesome build! Love that color.

Also, I agree about the Maxon and Ibanez stuff...looks like DeadEnd FX is coming out with an RC-99 board!  ;)