News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How do you read Alpha rotory pot markings?

Started by Aentons, July 03, 2020, 11:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

How do you read the poles and positions from the code on the back of Alpha rotary pots?

I have a 4J3 pot as seen in pic. Does that tell me its 4P3T or 3P4T? Thanks!

davent

Just from the picture you have 3 central terminals, those are your poles. I just check continuity to find which outer terminals connect to which central pole, markup the back to remember when it comes time to wire.
Haven't an Alpha to check but i'd think something like;

A - 1,2,3,4
B - 5,6,7,8
C - no terminal?
D - 9,10,11,12
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Aentons

Thanks, that sounds right. It all measures out like you said. I think I confused myself into thinking the printed code actually meant something. I got a bag of random rotary values and the other code values didn't match up to what I thought but all the 3P4T ones are marked 4J3 which seemed reversed.

I'm all straight now thanks!

davent

I do have a couple Alpha 1 x 12's i had a look at and they're marked 4G3 so no idea what's up with their labelling.
dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Govmnt_Lacky

If it is a true Aplha rotary, then it should have the poles marked in the white area (A, B, C, and 1-12) They are raised numbers/letters in the plastic. Yuo need to look close but, they should be there.