News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TAPLFO 3 Backwards Compatible?

Started by Timko, July 05, 2020, 05:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

I lent a friend my Twin Peaks tremolo I built a few years ago.  He liked it so much that he asked if I could build him one.  I know that Dalyk sells PCBs for that circuit, but it requires the TAPLFO2 chip. I looked at the pinout on the new TAPLFO3, and I don't believe it's backwards compatible. Am I correct here?

madbean

Not compatible at all, I'm afraid.

Timko

Yeah, kinda figured.  Maybe I'll try to source one of the old TAPLFO chips.

somnif

I found this comment from someone working to make a Twin Peaks with a v3 chip:

If anyone is building this with the new TapLFO 3D chip there's some minor changes that needs to be made.

"1.Remove Crystal and the two 22p caps next to it.
2.Remove 10k on Pin 4
3.Remove 10k on Pin 8

And since the new chip has 16 waveforms (2x8), you can put an SPST switch on pin 3 to ground to alternate between the two sets."

This based on a vero version of the circuit, but a couple comments suggest successful builds with it - http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2015/10/twin-peaks-tap-tempo-tremolo.html

Timko

Thanks!  If I'm not able to source a v2, I may go with this.

benny_profane

I just saw that Delyk restocked the cherry pie tremolo. You might ask Kyle if he's arranged a restock of the chips. You may be able to contact Tom at Electric Druid to see if he'd send one if Kyle hasn't arranged a new shipment.

diablochris6

I think I have one of Drolo's phaser boards that needs the same chip. I let this project sit in my to-do pile for way too long. I'll have to look into that TAPLFO3 shoehorn.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

jimilee

Quote from: diablochris6 on July 06, 2020, 10:04:53 AM
I think I have one of Drolo's phaser boards that needs the same chip. I let this project sit in my to-do pile for way too long. I'll have to look into that TAPLFO3 shoehorn.
Build it man, it's awesome!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Timko

Quote from: jimilee on July 06, 2020, 10:38:06 AM
Quote from: diablochris6 on July 06, 2020, 10:04:53 AM
Build it man, it's awesome!

AGREED.  I have both the tap phaser and tremolo.  The phaser has come off after finishing the Bi Phase, but that trem is amazing.

flanagan0718

I just ordered 2 of the cherry pie boards. I will burning 2 of the TAPLFO 2 chips for me...I'd be more than happy to do a few more if people here need them...just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madbean

I was going to say that as well - no reason you couldn't ask someone to burn a v.2 for you since I don't think they are available for purchase any longer. I'd offer but I don't think I have the appropriate PIC in my supplies.

somnif

I must admit I had no idea the PIC code was available for burning,  that certainly simplifies things.

flanagan0718

Quote from: Timko on July 06, 2020, 08:00:40 AM
Thanks!  If I'm not able to source a v2, I may go with this.
I've programmed these before. I need to order a couple for myself. If you need a couple let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk