News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bearhug - my very first

Started by Cyrial, July 04, 2020, 05:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrial

Thanks to midwayfair for designing the circuit and providing the perf schem.

This is my very very first DIY. I modded it a little from v2.5 - I accidentally got a 2p3t switch, so I added a third delay setting with a 200k resistor in series. Additionally added a second +V diode for battery.

Thankfully the bearhug circuit is so dang small it fits in this altoid tin with room for a 9v battery.

Eventually I'll get some paint on here, maybe make some way to clip it to my guitar strap.

jimilee

That is SICK! I like the switch and the mods. Now, when you say this is your first, you mean your first bear hug, right?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

Nice. Putting things in altoids tins is always a challenge and the fact that you decided to do it for your first build is extra fun.

I've often though to just make a build with no footswitch because I don't turn it off anyway.

mjg

Very cool, especially for a first DIY.  I always like the repurposed enclosure builds. 

Welcome to the hobby.  You'll find plenty more to build.  :)

Cyrial

@jimilee - my very first DIY. Also my very first effect - you don't really need effects on bass, right?

@midwayfair I didn't want to get started with footswitch nonsense considering I don't intend to have too much going on. If I like the bearhug well enough I might just hardmod it into my bass.

Thinking about modding to have true bypass - if it became unplugged or the battery died during a gig, it would be nice if it just bypassed. There's certainly room in the tin for more goodies...

matmosphere

I can't think of an easy way to mod it to bypass when the battery dies, but you could add a toggle to bypass it if you want to keep it off the floor.

Also, bass players need all the effects (other than chorus). Tubescreamers and Big Muff both kill on bass. Freppo's arcadiator is great on bass...

Really the dark secret is that it almost all sounds cooler on bass than guitar.

jimilee

Quote from: Cyrial on July 05, 2020, 07:27:25 PM
@jimilee - my very first DIY. Also my very first effect - you don't really need effects on bass, right?

Blasphemy!!!! I use a compressor also. If you're playing in a cover band, effects are, IMO necessary. If you are playing originals, depends on your tastes. I played bass a lot of years both ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.