News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lots of new builds (VFE, Madbean & Schu-Tone)

Started by dan.schumaker, July 08, 2020, 01:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan.schumaker

Been a while since I posted any build reports of what I've been up to...

First, here are the last batch of VFE pedals that Brian released.  The Dark Horse enclosure has been done for about 2 years, I made that up when the Dark Horse was originally announced and then scrapped.  Glad I held onto it  :D

And here are some other builds.  The Sonomatic Deluxe is an awesome take on a multi-head delay in a 1590DD enclosure.  It comes from a guy named Cees at Skidmark Pedals (check him out on Facebook).  The Hooke is from DeadEndFx and is thier take on the Spaceman Orion.  Awesome spring reverb, it totally compares with the verb in my Princeton Reverb or Gravity amp.  Also in here is the Glitchee and The Imp from Brian.

And here are some of my builds.  The Corkscrew is a dual overdrive, with a Nobels ODR-1 feeding into a Bluesbreaker.  The Rohirrim Deluxe is a Klon, but i took out the tone control and replaced it with a Baxandall tone setup, so you have control over both the treble and bass (unfortunately I do have it wired up backwards, so they are both "Cut" controls).  The Grotto is a mashed up Reverb pedal.  It is based on the BTDR-3 brick, with all the bells and whistles you can ask for.  Pre-delay, room size, tone, feedback, mix and even modulation of the delayed reverb.  The Deuce is a MXR Distortion II in a 1590A size.  The bottom is a custom Box of Rock in a 1590A for a customer.

As you can tell, I've gotten my laser up and running.  The faceplates are made from thin engraving plastics.  I still have a lot to learn and a lot to play around with on the laser.  I haven't had a chance to try engraving directly onto a powdercoated enclosure yet, but I hope to try that soon.  Yesterday I did get a chance to play around with my rotary attachment, making some cups.  It seemed to etch through that no problem, so I am hoping that powdercoated enclosures will be the same!

jimilee

Booya! Those are great looking build Dan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

mjg

What's the finishing technique on the Rohirrim and a few others?  It looks like it is polished in the middle, but not around the edges?

simon

Wow, those look great!  I'm a sucker for reverb so the Grotto and the Hooke have me intrigued.  I haven't seen a becton project that's as flexible as the Grotto. 

dan.schumaker

Quote from: mjg on July 08, 2020, 03:26:19 PM
What's the finishing technique on the Rohirrim and a few others?  It looks like it is polished in the middle, but not around the edges?

I did those with the laser.  It is a brushed bronze top layer, laser removes that to show the black core layer.

Bio77

Awesome work Dan!  I was just thinking today that there hasn't been a lot of build reports to look at, recently.  This should hold me over for a long wile  8)

madbean

Geez, I thought I had been building a lot lately then here's you, haha. These are great. And, that shucup is choice!

gordo

The usual Shu-perb work. I'm really liking the laser, and I always enjoy your build reports because they're usually 5-10 at a pop. It's overwhelming :-)

What's the deal with the cup?  How does the laser do a curved surface, or is that a plaque?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

diablochris6

Some amazing stuff here. The enclosures of the Glitchee, Dark Horse, and Grotto really stand out to me. As for your circuits, there are some great concepts you've tapped into. Who wouldn't love to quaff out of that cup?
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Philthy

dan.schumaker

Quote from: gordo on July 08, 2020, 06:40:47 PM

What's the deal with the cup?  How does the laser do a curved surface, or is that a plaque?

Its pretty cool how it works actually.  I got a rotary attachment for the laser, which replaces the base on it.  There are two rollers down there and instead of the laser traveling on the Y-Axis, the rollers move the work piece in the Y-axis, letting you etch around the cup.