News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Alcohol Ink Enclosure Builds

Started by Blooze, July 13, 2020, 04:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blooze

First up is a Sho'Nuff followed by a Zenith with Stage 3 booster.

I used metallic alcohol inks (one color on each enclosure).  Set the ink with 3 coats of Krylon Kamar followed by 5 coats of Krylon UV Resistant clear.  I'll probably cover in Envirotex or 4-5 coats of lacquer after the UV clear next time, but I was impatient.

jimilee

I really admire that finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Those look great. I've always wanted to give that a try. Any chance you'd post some tips?

Haberdasher

I've always loved the way those inks look on a pedal.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

flanagan0718

I've been playing with alcohol inks lately too. Yours look way better than mine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blooze

Quote from: Matmosphere on July 13, 2020, 08:03:03 PM
Those look great. I've always wanted to give that a try. Any chance you'd post some tips?

For the most "pop" I would use a white enclosure. The green one was white powdercoated and the blue was powdercoated a midnight flake or something. For the metallic inks I used a blender solution (which I think is just ethanol) instead of the usual isopropanol (90%) typically used on non-metallics.  I put a small amount of the alcohol on the enclosure, a few drops of ink, and blowing through a straw quickly move the ink around. The alcohol dries fairly fast and just acts as a carrier. YouTube alcohol inks on ceramic tile for some ideas and techniques. There are also a couple of YouTube videos where a guy did raw enclosures using a sponge on method that looks easier, but wasn't giving me the look I wanted.

You absolutely have to set the ink.  More solvent such as a lacquer topcoat will redissolve it and move it around.  Most the folks who are clearcoating I found were using the Kamar and UV resist at least. Alcohol inks will fade in any UV light. Really, as a final topcoat epoxy would be great I think. I plan to try it next on them.

diablochris6

Fantastic look, both yours and Flanagan. I'll have to look into this at some point.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

gordo

+1. I'd be happy with any of the enclosures.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

sjaustin

These look superb! I have had good luck with alcohol inks but have never "set" the ink, other than with my usual enamel clear coat. Something to try next time...

Blooze

Quote from: sjaustin on July 14, 2020, 01:47:00 PM
These look superb! I have had good luck with alcohol inks but have never "set" the ink, other than with my usual enamel clear coat. Something to try next time...

I think you'd be alright with any clear that doesn't have a solvent in it that would re liquify the inks. I know the lacquer I typically use does unless you do many light dusting coats on it. It was easier to use the Kamar and just blast it on.