News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Flange-A-Rama!

Started by danfrank, July 11, 2020, 08:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfrank

Here's a clone on the Ibanez FL99 flanger from Dead End FX. They have a lot of nice projects but a lot of them are pretty involved. This would probably be a mid level build of what they have to offer.
I used glitter paint which looks nice but I still have to add labels for the controls. This flanger is almost as versital as the ADA flanger but much easier to calibrate.  It has 2 BBDs, the blue lit switch determines whether the sound output comes off of the first BBD or the second one that is in series with the first. The switch in the middle is for even or odd harmonics, like the ADA one.
I added a green LED to light in sync with the LFO.

danfrank

I forgot the inside pic.
This uses a couple of MN3204, 512 stage BBDs, which are hard to get. I can't remember if it's Cool Audio or Beling that makes a current version of this chip but a certain pedal maker supposedly has exclusive rights to all the 3204s that the company makes. It's too bad, because this is a nice flanger.
I may experiment and try to double the clock speed and use MN3207s, which are much easier to source than the 3204s

cooder

Excellent build! Cheers!
BigNoise Amplification

danfrank

alanp

So cool! What enclosure is it?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Scruffie

Quote from: danfrank on July 11, 2020, 08:46:57 PM
I forgot the inside pic.
This uses a couple of MN3204, 512 stage BBDs, which are hard to get. I can't remember if it's Cool Audio or Beling that makes a current version of this chip but a certain pedal maker supposedly has exclusive rights to all the 3204s that the company makes. It's too bad, because this is a nice flanger.
I may experiment and try to double the clock speed and use MN3207s, which are much easier to source than the 3204s
I'm fairly sure it's Cool Audio and MXR has exclusivity.

A 3102 will probably struggle to drive two 3207 as high as necessary (don't know what the clock frequencies are so I could be wrong in that).

It would be a possibility to redesign it to use a clock doubled 3207 and then just divide the clock back to its original range for the 'series' mode so it only needs one BBD.
Works at Lectric-FX

danfrank

@alanp: It's a Hammond 1590J. Measurements are 5.75" X 3.75" X 2"

@Scruffie: That would be an elegant solution and a more efficient use of BBDs! The frequency sweep is 30-40kHz to 550-700kHz. The build document lists a 30pf for the clock capacitor but I had to use a 22pf and that only got me to a 39-558kHz sweep. An 18-20 pf would have probably been better for a wider sweep but I didn't have that value.

PMowdes2

Nicely done, glad you enjoyed building it.
DeadEndFX

danfrank

Thank you. You have lots of great projects. I'll be doing a Lola phaser soon.

Bio77

Nice build!  This is one of my favorite projects.