News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Can I cut off third lug on stero jack?

Started by diegoyl, July 15, 2020, 12:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diegoyl

I accidentally ordered stereo Lumberg 1/4" jacks instead of mono. I'm doing a pretty tight build (Slow Loris and GreenBean in 1590BB, also open to advice on that) and the extra contact and lug of the stereo jack is getting in the way. I was able to bend down the extra lug so it is flat, but I was wondering if I can cut off the second, shorter contact? Also is it fine if the extra lug is left unused or does it need to be wired to ground?

I am attaching picture because I might be explaining it wrong:

jimilee

Yep, no problem. It won't be doing anything.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

danfrank

No! No! No!
Don't cut it off, just remove it. It's easy to do...
There is a tab on the metal piece that keeps it connected to the plastic housing. Look at the little hole in pic #1. Stick a needle nose or something small and rigid that will fit into that hole and press until the tab is flat. I usually hear a click when it becomes flat with the rest of the metal piece. What you want to do is make the metal flat and then the metal piece will just slide out. Then the jack will be exactly like a mono jack.
I hope I explained it well enough.

madbean

Quote from: danfrank on July 15, 2020, 12:43:54 AM
No! No! No!
There is a tab on the metal piece that keeps it connected to the plastic housing. Look at the little hole in pic #1. Stick a needle nose or something small and rigid that will fit into that hole and press until the tab is flat. I usually hear a click when it becomes flat with the rest of the metal piece. What you want to do is make the metal flat and then the metal piece will just slide out. Then the jack will be exactly like a mono jack.

Free jack tab! I actually never thought about that.

gordo

I did exactly the same thing and bought 12 of them. I use a punch to dent the tab back in and it slips right out. In the same order I bought a bunch of 2.5 lumberg power jacks as well. It was a bad order day.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

diegoyl

Quote from: gordo on July 15, 2020, 01:00:29 AM
I did exactly the same thing and bought 12 of them. I use a punch to dent the tab back in and it slips right out. In the same order I bought a bunch of 2.5 lumberg power jacks as well. It was a bad order day.

dang. i also had bad order day, i somehow ordered log pots instead of linear and vice-versa haha.

diegoyl

Quote from: danfrank on July 15, 2020, 12:43:54 AM
No! No! No!

Thanks, that worked great!

Willybomb

I did.  Not sure why I got stereo lumberg jacks in my Tayda order, might have been for my FS-7 workalikes, but I just snipped them off and listened to them ping against the wall about 20 feet away.  Used those in my MiG build, iirc.