News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

King of Tone high gain

Started by Thewintersoldier, July 15, 2020, 04:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

With the new amp in I've been on an overdrive kick, and thanks to sonnyboy27 cracking the code on the high gain mod I decided to finally throw together my king of tone from pedalpcb. I left out the on board 18v charge pump cause I prefer it at 9v. The lower headroom and added compression make it more amp like to me. I made the red side high gain and used some alternate diodes that were pretty much dead on fv for the unicorn tear diodes. Sounds like my old one I sold 5 years ago.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

mjg

Cool - the Thor theme works well for this pedal.

cooder

Very cool that is! Where would I find the schematic or description of high gain mod, I do have a Rullywow board still kicking around, might look into implementing it there. How big is the difference to stock KoT sound? Cheers man!
BigNoise Amplification

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: cooder on July 15, 2020, 08:07:03 PM
Very cool that is! Where would I find the schematic or description of high gain mod, I do have a Rullywow board still kicking around, might look into implementing it there. How big is the difference to stock KoT sound? Cheers man!
Analogman describes the mod as a bump up in gain, something like 25% on the dial. It's not huge but I recomend it, especially since its only changing one resistor. you can do it on both sides if you want. here is the link to the post sonnyboy27 made with the schematic https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=31448.msg302551#msg302551
Who the hell is Bucky?

cooder

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on July 16, 2020, 05:24:18 AM
Analogman describes the mod as a bump up in gain, something like 25% on the dial. It's not huge but I recomend it, especially since its only changing one resistor. you can do it on both sides if you want. here is the link to the post sonnyboy27 made with the schematic https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=31448.msg302551#msg302551
Thanks Chris! Too easy I'll put that in too.
And I will get a yellow Sharpie to mark the chip with an "H" to make sure it's a prpoper clone... too funny.
BigNoise Amplification

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: cooder on July 16, 2020, 03:48:18 PM
Quote from: Thewintersoldier on July 16, 2020, 05:24:18 AM
Thanks Chris! Too easy I'll put that in too.
And I will get a yellow Sharpie to mark the chip with an "H" to make sure it's a prpoper clone... too funny.
I'm not gonna lie, it crossed my mind to do the H on the chip as a joke. I read a post where someone removed the paint on the IC to see what it is and it's the same 4580D chip as the regular gain circuit. What marketing, he charges 20 dollars a side on the high gain mod for one resistor. That is snake oil hype like the Klon diodes lol
Who the hell is Bucky?

jjjimi84

It is a great looking pedal. I remember being on that waitlist a loooong time ago, then I found Brian and his aristocrat board......

Built that pedal and never bothered when my name came up on that list three years later.

Wish I could remember when that was, 2008?, 2011? I was still drinking then, hard to remember shit.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jjjimi84 on July 17, 2020, 04:39:58 AM
It is a great looking pedal. I remember being on that waitlist a loooong time ago, then I found Brian and his aristocrat board......

Built that pedal and never bothered when my name came up on that list three years later.

Wish I could remember when that was, 2008?, 2011? I was still drinking then, hard to remember shit.
Thanks dude, it's a crazy long wait time now and I would never get on it either unless I was looking to flip for a profit. And glad to hear you got your memory back, I went thru something in my teens and twenties with substance abuse so good on you!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

harryklippton

I'm pretty sure he honors your place on the wait list no matter what. That's part of why the wait has gotten so much longer in the last year or two