News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nautilus -mutron iii

Started by dwstanford, November 27, 2011, 10:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwstanford

Holy crap!  I just noticed the nautilus (mutron iii) listed on the projects page.  Thats really awesome.  Ive nearly bought the GGG board several times.  Now im glad i waited.  I'm totally stoked.

keysandguitars

I'll second the holy crap and the several near purchases of the GGG board. Sign me up!
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

bigmufffuzzwizz

I've always wanted one of these..so excited this is actually happening.  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Smeero

I built one of the GGG boards and found an original mutron optocoupler. The variable Rx resistor was a pain in the ass, more than 1 value sounded good to me so I played it with 3 different ones for a while before i picked one.

Are you addressing that variable resistor issue Brian? A trimmer maybe? I was going to ask if you are going to allow for various opto-couplers, but the answer to that last question may answer it.

Also hopefully you can get the board smaller than the  GGG board, if so I might I might part out my current Mutron III just to create some board space.

(when the time comes, I have 2 extra 150k pots if anyone wants to trade/buy)

BarryW

YES !!   I have wanted another of these for years.  I have an old MuTron Phasor that I've owned since it came out, and I always wanted the Mutron III that my old bass player had . . . THANKS !!  Oh, and send me one as soon as it's ready !

aballen

Oh yeah I want one of these too.

claytushaywood

damn, i just got excited that the build guide was up or a pre-order was ready... i've been holding off on the GGG for a long time waiting for this one... I'm so inpatient.  I've been contemplating a musicpcb meatball clone, but the mutron just sounds so good.

I might even mod my guitar to have the jerry garcia effects loop just for the mutron.  If you're not hip to this idea, check it out.  basically you install a buffer (he used an inverting opamp unity gain buffer) in your guitar and run from your pickup selector and tone pots to the buffer out the buffer to the the tip of a stereo jack.  run a y cable out and some of your effets that you want to receive the same amount of volume to at all time- run the out of the effects board up the other side of the y cable back into your guitar and into a 25k volume pot then out your regular jack.  This allows your mutron to receive full volume at all times no matter where your volume knob is.  VERY cool- allows you to use the mutron so much better with overdrive and other effects with so much more predictable results.  and the buffer before the volume pot apparently gives you the best volume control ever- perfect response and taper if you use a good one supposedly.  another way to do this would be to run a volume pedal after the mutron and use the volume pedal to control your ouput volume.  it also seems to have given jerry more ability to mess with pick dynamics and have the mutron respond to them better.  he doe some awesome quiet picking low volume mutron licks.  once you try it, you'll need it. 

isnt that an ingenious idea though?  very cool for germanium fuzz, delay, phaser i'd imagine.  its kinda cool being able to pick softly  and have your distortion distort the same way too- i much prefer  the clean up ability, but its a cool novelty.  i'm surprised more effects geeks dont set their guitars up like this

i've been wanting this so bad for so long, but dont wanna do the GGG layout because the wiring is a freakin beast.  hopefully we're getting pcb pots on this one!!!!  can we vote to give this project priority?!?!?

night-B

There are fabbed for the Mutron III on musicpcb.com from J.Livingston and they went fast out of stock, but I think I'll wait for a MBP board  ;)

Bucksears

Quote from: claytushaywood on May 03, 2012, 09:41:55 PM
damn, i just got excited that the build guide was up or a pre-order was ready... i've been holding off on the GGG for a long time waiting for this one... I'm so inpatient.  I've been contemplating a musicpcb meatball clone, but the mutron just sounds so good.

i've been wanting this so bad for so long, but dont wanna do the GGG layout because the wiring is a freakin beast.  hopefully we're getting pcb pots on this one!!!!  can we vote to give this project priority?!?!?

I was waiting on the musicpcb MB clone board, but that was pushed back from late March to late May. I'd rather have Madbean's take on it anyway; he typically fixes known issues/inefficiencies with his projects.

claytushaywood

Quote from: night-B on May 04, 2012, 12:16:44 AM
There are fabbed for the Mutron III on musicpcb.com from J.Livingston and they went fast out of stock, but I think I'll wait for a MBP board  ;)

musicpcb's fabbed baoard is or a clone of the lovetone meatball.  the mutron and meatball are not similar sounding at all in my experience.  the meatball is one of the most difficult pedals to dial in normal sounds on, and forget about remembering settings on that beast.  however, it is one of most versatile effects ever... sweet with synth

night-B

Oops! Sorry... Dumb error

claytushaywood

no worries- the meatball is a crazy powerful filter...but the mutron is the funkiest of the funkiest sweetest guitar envelope filter ever in my opinion.  it is just so perfect.  i hope the clones are anything close to the originals... cuz i NEED one after playing the real deal for as long as i possibly could.
i've decided that both are worth having... might as well throw the dod 440 in there.

being a huge radiohead and grateful dead fan... and i did see george clinton and pfunk the other day for free.

the mutron is THE funky ball of teets!!!  the meatball is the spaceship... the dod 440... the baileys