News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Headphone recommendations?

Started by EBK, July 18, 2020, 08:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

I posted this query over at DIYSB, but I want to ask here too:

My kids broke my moderately cheap headphones that I use to listen to music.   :'(
Can anyone recommend some new ones?  I want something wired (no Bluetooth BS) that can be driven adequately from consumer devices (phone, computer, etc.).  This would be for home use, so I don't care too much about sound leakage (in or out), and they don't need to be small. Sound quality would be my highest criterion, followed by comfort. Let's somewhat arbitrarily say $50 USD is my budget ($100-ish would be ok).  Any recommendations?
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

benny_profane

I've used the Sony MDR-V6 for ages and I dig them. I'd consider them to full-frequency without much, if any, coloring. The pads are a leatherette type covering that will peel off. I replaced the pads with a velvet type kind and haven't had any problems. They definitely have bleed and do not prevent outside noise ingress.

They should be around $75...definitely don't pay the gouged prices that are popping up now for them.

aiaosu

Quote from: EBK on July 18, 2020, 08:29:08 AM
I posted this query over at DIYSB, but I want to ask here too:

My kids broke my moderately cheap headphones that I use to listen to music.   :'(
Can anyone recommend some new ones?  I want something wired (no Bluetooth BS) that can be driven adequately from consumer devices (phone, computer, etc.).  This would be for home use, so I don't care too much about sound leakage (in or out), and they don't need to be small. Sound quality would be my highest criterion, followed by comfort. Let's somewhat arbitrarily say $50 USD is my budget ($100-ish would be ok).  Any recommendations?
The Brainwavz HM5 are much better build quality than the Sony's and more comfortable. If you're listening to music and watching movies with them, they will isolate better. The Sony's are old school sound engineer type headphones which will be much more sterile.

The Brainwavz are also cheaper. They're full size, over ear.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

aiaosu

Also, if you want to research more, www.head-fi.org is a great place. You may have to sort through some posts but there's great info on a lot of different headphones and gear like portable amps, etc.

EBK

I've definitely read many reports about the poor quality of the Sony ear pads.  Amazon indicates that replacement ear pads are frequently bought with them, and there appear to be quite a few aftermarket pads to choose from.  Some users report that the quality of the ear pads on Sony headphones is sometimes different for different color choices of the same product (quite odd).
I'm seeing the MDR-V6 for sale only at rediculously high prices.  Is that a discontinued model?  I was looking at the Sony MDRV150 earlier today.

The descriptions I've read of the Brainwavz HM5 look like they are describing exactly what I'm after, and the price is nice.  I'll keep my mind open and keep reading for a while longer though before I officially buy something, but at the moment I am leaning this way. 

When I first saw that some studio monitor headsets were in my price range, I started reading about some being 600-ohm or other high impedances that needed a quality headphone amp to work properly.  It looks like not all of them are like that though.

Thanks for the suggestions!
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

davent

Quote from: EBK on July 18, 2020, 10:11:57 AM
I've definitely read many reports about the poor quality of the Sony ear pads.  Amazon indicates that replacement ear pads are frequently bought with them, and there appear to be quite a few aftermarket pads to choose from.  Some users report that the quality of the ear pads on Sony headphones is sometimes different for different color choices of the same product (quite odd).
I'm seeing the MDR-V6 for sale only at rediculously high prices.  Is that a discontinued model?  I was looking at the Sony MDRV150 earlier today.

The descriptions I've read of the Brainwavz HM5 look like they are describing exactly what I'm after, and the price is nice.  I'll keep my mind open and keep reading for a while longer though before I officially buy something, but at the moment I am leaning this way. 

When I first saw that some studio monitor headsets were in my price range, I started reading about some being 600-ohm or other high impedances that needed a quality headphone amp to work properly.  It looks like not all of them are like that though.

DIY headphone amps is another rabbit hole, my gateway to guitar pedals...
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

EBK

I keep reading that the Brainwavz product is good except for the plastic hanger parts, which often break within 6 months.  I'm wondering if my JB Weld skills would be up to the challenge.

matmosphere

I have a pair of Panasonic ones I got a few years back that I'm super pleased with. I think they only cost $30. I'll see if I can figure out what model later.

aiaosu

Quote from: EBK on July 18, 2020, 11:22:34 AM
I keep reading that the Brainwavz product is good except for the plastic hanger parts, which often break within 6 months.  I'm wondering if my JB Weld skills would be up to the challenge.
The plastic hanger is separate from the headphones, so it wouldn't effect the use of the headphones.

EBK

Quote from: aiaosu on July 18, 2020, 11:31:22 AM
Quote from: EBK on July 18, 2020, 11:22:34 AM
The plastic hanger is separate from the headphones, so it wouldn't effect the use of the headphones.

I may have used the wrong term.  I meant the plastic arms that connect the ear pieces to the band that goes over your head.

aiaosu

I had a pair quite a few years ago and they were pretty sturdy. Another solid choice would be Hifiman HE300.

benny_profane

Quote from: EBK on July 18, 2020, 10:11:57 AM

Checking camecamelcamel, the price increase came recently—just like printers and webcams. Basically all work from home supplies.

I've had my current pair since 2006 and they're going strong with the replacement cups coming along maybe four years ago? They are rather sterile/old school to be sure. But for recording, I really dig them. I'm sure there are better new alternatives.

EBK

I'm giving the Brainwavz headphones a try.  The thing that helped make the decision is that they are having a 30% off sale on their website, I got another 10% off by signing up for their newsletter, and shipping is free. $56.39 total, which is MUCH less than I found them elsewhere.  Not too shabby!
Thanks again for the suggestions!

aiaosu

Quote from: EBK on July 18, 2020, 01:36:06 PM
I'm giving the Brainwavz headphones a try.  The thing that helped make the decision is that they are having a 30% off sale on their website, I got another 10% off by signing up for their newsletter, and shipping is free. $56.39 total, which is MUCH less than I found them elsewhere.  Not too shabby!
Thanks again for the suggestions!
No problem. Hope you enjoy

pickdropper

Are you for over-the-ear headphones (circumaural), on-the-ear headphones (supra aural), earbuds (not sealing) or insert ear monitors (sealing earphones)?

And if you want standard over-the-ear headphones, do you want open back or closed back?

There are myriad options out there and various price points.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper