News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Will these relays work in the Softie?

Started by EBK, July 21, 2020, 10:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

I happen to have a couple of these that came in a mystery box assortment from Electronics Goldmine:

They appear to be non-latching ("single-side stable" is what the datasheet says) 4.5V coils with the same contact configuration as the one in the Softie build doc.  Is there anything else I should be aware of, or would these work just fine with the Softie?

Datasheet:
digchip.com/datasheets/parts/datasheet/614/TX2-4_5V-pdf.php
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jimilee

It's a relay I believe. See Madbean's softie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

EBK

Quote from: jimilee on July 21, 2020, 11:34:02 AM

It's definitely a relay.  My question is whether it is an ok substitute for the one spec'd for the Softie.  It has the same contact configuration and coil voltage.  I just want to make sure there aren't other datasheet numbers I need to pay attention to.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jimilee

Quote from: EBK on July 21, 2020, 11:43:00 AM
Quote from: jimilee on July 21, 2020, 11:34:02 AM

It's definitely a relay.  My question is whether it is an ok substitute for the one spec'd for the Softie.
I'm sorry, I saw that and I was thinking smoothie. My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

That looks fine to me.  I was surprised that it was the non-latching type, but I checked and that's right.  I've yet to build a Softie but I've used this relay type in other soft touch builds, 4.5-5.0V 1-2A.  I've used the ones from Tayda:
https://www.taydaelectronics.com/na-5w-k-mini-relay-dpdt-5vdc-1a.html

EBK

Thank you for your input (I forgot to say that before  :-[). 
I have now soldered up a Softie with one of my relays, and it does seem to work.  It passes the LED test, and the relay sounds like it is properly clicking on and off.

The relay also clicks on then off once quickly when power is first applied.  I'm guessing (hoping) this is normal.