News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A Simple Clipping Indicator Circuit?

Started by FuzzMonkey, July 28, 2020, 02:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FuzzMonkey

I'm putting together a basic op amp based clean boost and thoughts I might experiment adding a clipping indicator circuit to show when the op amp is close to or is clipping the signal. Surprise, surprise.

An online search found plenty for higher voltage power amps but nothing useful in regards to a 9-volt, simple op amp circuit à la the MXR Micro Amp.

Does anybody know of a simple, yet effective circuit or way of accomplishing this?

mauman

What if you used LEDs as the clipping diodes, and made them visible from the exterior?

jimilee

Quote from: FuzzMonkey on July 28, 2020, 02:29:43 AM
I'm putting together a basic op amp based clean boost and thoughts I might experiment adding a clipping indicator circuit to show when the op amp is close to or is clipping the signal. Surprise, surprise.

An online search found plenty for higher voltage power amps but nothing useful in regards to a 9-volt, simple op amp circuit à la the MXR Micro Amp.

Does anybody know of a simple, yet effective circuit or way of accomplishing this?
The ginger uses leds for clipping and will light up if they are clipped hard enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Scruffie

Works at Lectric-FX

benny_profane

Quote from: Scruffie on July 28, 2020, 01:20:07 PM
Deluxe Memory Man, Overload LED.
Do you have a schematic for that section of the circuit? (In context within the DMM would be an added bonus.)

Scruffie

It's just the transistor bit.

Here it is negative ground, 'input' is R10.
Works at Lectric-FX

benny_profane

Thanks! That is extremely straightforward.

FuzzMonkey

Quote from: benny_profane on July 28, 2020, 02:18:18 PM
Thanks! That is extremely straightforward.

Thanks is extremely straightforward.

TFZ

It's also rather crude and will only work for one polarity. Since particularly guitar signals can be very asymmetrical, depending on your expectations regarding the accuracy of the clipping indicator this circuit might not be good enough.
For proper and reliable detection you need a full wave rectifier.