News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

VFE Switching Board Zener Diode

Started by Bio77, August 08, 2020, 04:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

I'm building an Alpha Dog and just realized I don't have an 18V zener for the switching board. Would a 16V zener give similar results? 

EBK

I probably have ten 18V zeners (I'd have to double check).  Want one (or several)?
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Bio77

Quote from: EBK on August 08, 2020, 05:12:37 PM
I probably have ten 18V zeners (I'd have to double check).  Want one (or several)?
Hey Eric, yes, that would be awesome.  I think I just need the one. 

Aentons

I believe the the zener is just for over voltage protection, so you can probably just leave it off if you want

Bio77

Quote from: Aentons on August 08, 2020, 09:02:27 PM
I believe the the zener is just for over voltage protection, so you can probably just leave it off if you want
I was wondering about this. I thought the zener might be used here to raise the voltage to 18V for the circuit, please correct me if I'm wrong.

EBK

I checked my supplies.  I have fifteen 1N4746A 18V 1W zeners. 

Incidentally, I seem to have tons of zeners in values from 3V to 47V, so if anyone else needs/wants a particular zener (within the US), just let me know. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

madbean

12, 15, or 16v is fine. So long as you aren't powering the Alpha Dog @ 18v then any of those values will work.

Aentons

Quote from: Bio77 on August 09, 2020, 12:29:15 AM
Quote from: Aentons on August 08, 2020, 09:02:27 PM
I was wondering about this. I thought the zener might be used here to raise the voltage to 18V for the circuit, please correct me if I'm wrong.

From the switching board build doc:

"A Zener diode is included to prevent over-voltage to both the audio
PCB and the 7662 inverter (when used). Its value depends on which audio circuit is being built."