News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Built Some Stuff

Started by Haberdasher, August 03, 2020, 05:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haberdasher

This is John Lyon's Scarab fuzz, via storyboardist.  Shout out to both gents; it sounds great.  The fat control might possibly be backwards on the layout.  I'm not quite sure about that, but it really doesn't matter to me.  Also, I added a couple of pads for a 2n2 cap someone mentioned down in the comments for this project.
I'd already drilled the box by the time I decided to use the coda bypass, and seeing as how the coda probably isn't meant for 1590b anyway, it was time to break out the shoehorn.  The wiring nearly got out of hand, but it turned out ok in the end.  In fact, I think this pedal turned out to be a real looker.  I'm scared to get it dirty!

Next up is a Tusk pcb I've had for quite a long time.  Yeah, everyone knows a klon is supposed to have a Centaur on it, but I'm not Sagittarius. ;)
I tried to make up for the lack of unicorn magic in the graphics with some My Little Pony™ wiring in the interior.  And oh yeah, the unicorn tears are made of telefunken OA126, freshly squozen.
This pedal is pretty loud.  I'll probably use it to boost another drive.

There will probably be more to come later if I ever sort out some graphics.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

rockola

Both look just great, but the Pisces-Klon has that extra something to push it over the cliff.

Quote from: Haberdasher on August 03, 2020, 05:20:06 AM
There will probably be more to come later if I ever sort out some graphics.

Please do!

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

cooder

Noice builds there! What the sweet relay bypass on the Scarab fuzz? Cheers!
BigNoise Amplification

Haberdasher

Quote from: rockolaPlease do!

I'll try my best!

Quote from: cooder on August 03, 2020, 06:35:29 AM
Noice builds there! What the sweet relay bypass on the Scarab fuzz? Cheers!
Thanks Cooder.  The relay bp is the Coda Soft Bypass project in the etcher's paradise.  I like it.  Haven't had a chance to compare it to bean's softie yet.  I'm sure both are great though!

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

jimilee

Nice to see you building things. Those look fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bret608

I agree, great to see a classic Haberdasher build or two! I built a Scarab-type thing a while back on a board that jubal81 did and it does sound great. Apparently the trace of this circuit in the DIY world has always been slightly off, especially that 2n2 cap across the one transistor. Let me know what kind of difference in sound it makes. It sounds awesome as is--interestingly, it does some of the best OD and distortion sounds I've heard. My fat control gets fatter as you turn it clockwise if that helps.

I'm also planning to finish up a Tusk this summer that I've had since like 2015. Love that gold and red color scheme you've got going there.

storyboardist

Nice work! That black FR4 is sexy
Guy behind Effects Layouts

Haberdasher

Quote from: jimilee on August 03, 2020, 01:36:27 PM
Nice to see you building things. Those look fantastic.

Thanks jimi-james

Quote from: Bret608 on August 03, 2020, 01:44:40 PM
I agree, great to see a classic Haberdasher build or two! I built a Scarab-type thing a while back on a board that jubal81 did and it does sound great. Apparently the trace of this circuit in the DIY world has always been slightly off, especially that 2n2 cap across the one transistor. Let me know what kind of difference in sound it makes. It sounds awesome as is--interestingly, it does some of the best OD and distortion sounds I've heard. My fat control gets fatter as you turn it clockwise if that helps.

I'm also planning to finish up a Tusk this summer that I've had since like 2015. Love that gold and red color scheme you've got going there.
Thanks Bret!
Dang, I must have missed the one from jubal.  I didn't hear the fuzz without the cap so I can't say one way or the other, but it definitely sounds good.  Yeah I think my fat control is backwards then.  I'll just think of it as a skinny control instead.
Had this thing on the test rig for about 30 minutes and I knew I'd probably box it up.  It gives my Cosmopolitan a run for the money, and I like that one a lot.  The bias control is very cool on this fuzz, and lots of fun.
Good luck with your Tusk build.  The way it's laid out is pretty neat and the wiring looks very tidy. 

Quote from: storyboardist on August 03, 2020, 01:59:47 PM
Nice work! That black FR4 is sexy
Hey there he is!  Thanks for the circuit bro.
I always use the black stuff.  It doesn't cut the best, but it always looks so tough.

Cheers

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

cooder

Quote from: Bret608 on August 03, 2020, 01:44:40 PM

Getting really curious now about the Scarab Fuzz.... where would I find the schematic and what would be the closest to original as far as you guys know? Cheers
BigNoise Amplification

TFZ

Bret608

I think pedalpcb sells a version called the Dungbeetle. Matches the schematic on mine as far as I can tell. FWIW, this circuit works pretty well with medium-gain transistors. I think a recent trace of an original Scarab found they actually have BC549b. I used 2n3904 for Q1 and 2, 2n2222a for Q3, and 2n5088 for Q4. I had remembered that juansolo liked that combination in the Hot Silicon on which the Scarab is based.

gordo

Agree with above...good to see you building again (or at least displaying it).
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

cooder

Quote from: Bret608 on August 04, 2020, 01:33:50 PM
I think pedalpcb sells a version called the Dungbeetle. Matches the schematic on mine as far as I can tell. FWIW, this circuit works pretty well with medium-gain transistors. I think a recent trace of an original Scarab found they actually have BC549b. I used 2n3904 for Q1 and 2, 2n2222a for Q3, and 2n5088 for Q4. I had remembered that juansolo liked that combination in the Hot Silicon on which the Scarab is based.

Thanks for the hint and pointers, gents!
BigNoise Amplification

Haberdasher

I just used straight 5088's in mine, & I have no complaints.  Then again, my ears have never been able to tell much difference when it comes to si transistor fuzz.

I've been playing the June Bug a little here & there and I think I made the right decision.  Back when I was deciding what to build it was between this & a Hoof.  I know lots of people love Hooves, but it's pretty much just a muff AFAIK.  I'm already neck deep in that, and plus it sounded like it needed specific transistors and I didn't want to be arsed that day.

Quote from: gordo on August 04, 2020, 01:47:16 PM
Agree with above...good to see you building again (or at least displaying it).
Thanks gordy.  I've been building a few things here & there, but most stuff I just throw into a drawer with other unboxed circuits.  I've kind of had the itch to box up a few things lately though, so there might be a couple more coming up.  Definitely going to post up my DC-Echo once I get the cover art right (I'm kind of experimenting with some ideas).

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE: