News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Resistor Questions

Started by skypn, August 05, 2020, 01:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skypn

As far as audio goes, what is the difference between carbon film and metal film. I have noticed that some carbon films are smaller than metal at the same wattage, and that the size of carbons differ. I am trying to squeeze as many components in as small a space as I can so size is a factor. Also, what are the good companies?  I mean like who is cheap, who is middle of the road, and who is the premo?
TIA
Knowledge for Knowledge's Sake

madbean

There's no reason not to use metal film for everything. Better tolerance and lower noise. 1/4W is standard but for tight spacings 1/8W can be the better choice. However, higher wattage equals less noise as well so there's always a small trade off. At 9v I think the difference between the two is very minor.

I buy Xicon packs from Mouser. 200 for $4. That quantity lasts a long time. I go through 1k, 10k and 100k the fastest.

skypn

Thx madbean. I usually buy from mouser, but sometimes wondered at the different sizes for same resistance and wattage 
Knowledge for Knowledge's Sake

davent

Size and wattage don't necessarily jibe, you can get 1/2w through hole that are a crack longer then an 1/8th of an inch, 1w at 1/4". I'd guess if it physically fits the space on a pedal pcb, resister wattage isn't going to be a factor.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?