News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

what I realized doing builds this year

Started by Thewintersoldier, August 17, 2020, 04:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jjjimi84 on August 18, 2020, 07:58:42 AM
Chris I feel your pain, I am primarily a single coil guy, with strats and a tele or guitars with p90s. That was the case except for a 335 style guitar and a dual humbucker guitar meant for heavy rock and slide. Those two have custom pickups with lower output that clean up well but dont do what the strat does.

The only humbucker I have really fallen off the rails for is the PRS 57/08s. I played a friends PRS studio and offered him cash on the spot to buy it, he wouldnt sell and I ended up getting a PRS SC58 with the same pickups. It just sounds like a beefed up tele but not in the gibson mud and low end way.

There is something that single coils and great humbuckers do that keeps everything separate and clean even when being overdriven.

Have you tried a strat with a HSS set up? My main strat just got that set up along with a refret and hasnt left my hands in two weeks.
I have had a couple HSS strats and the output difference between the humbucker in the bridge and the single coils is annoying to me. I have always heard about those les Pauls touted as teles on steroids but I have never played one like that.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

Willybomb

QuoteI have had a couple HSS strats and the output difference between the humbucker in the bridge and the single coils is annoying to me.
I use high output singles like the SSL-1 and SSL-5 and quite often they're louder than the humbucker in the bridge, even compared to something like a Super Distortion so it takes a bit of messing around to get the comparative volumes right.

jjjimi84

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on August 18, 2020, 08:42:24 AM
Quote from: jjjimi84 on August 18, 2020, 07:58:42 AM
Chris I feel your pain, I am primarily a single coil guy, with strats and a tele or guitars with p90s. That was the case except for a 335 style guitar and a dual humbucker guitar meant for heavy rock and slide. Those two have custom pickups with lower output that clean up well but dont do what the strat does.

The only humbucker I have really fallen off the rails for is the PRS 57/08s. I played a friends PRS studio and offered him cash on the spot to buy it, he wouldnt sell and I ended up getting a PRS SC58 with the same pickups. It just sounds like a beefed up tele but not in the gibson mud and low end way.

There is something that single coils and great humbuckers do that keeps everything separate and clean even when being overdriven.

Have you tried a strat with a HSS set up? My main strat just got that set up along with a refret and hasnt left my hands in two weeks.
I have had a couple HSS strats and the output difference between the humbucker in the bridge and the single coils is annoying to me. I have always heard about those les Pauls touted as teles on steroids but I have never played one like that.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

If you are ever on my side of Lake Michigan you can give it a whirl.

Balancing pick ups is a long tedious task, I lucked out that the low output humbucker sets pretty well with the original pickups.