News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Any recommendations for USB recording interfaces?

Started by matmosphere, August 06, 2020, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

Excellent, thanks guys!!

I'm running a MacBook and have USB 3, so I think Focusrite might be the thing, but not 100% yet. The Presonus has midi and is cheaper, so I might take a closer look. it and the Focusrite stuff have the same signal indicators, which is what I was hoping for, so maybe the midi will make the presonus worth while.

peAk

Quote from: PMowdes2 on August 07, 2020, 09:48:26 AM
Motu M4

This is the absolute best USB audio interface with the best price hands down unless you go into the RME range.

Just check Julian Krause's YouTube channel for a very scientific breakdown if the M2/M4. It smokes Steinberg and Focusrite and the others in this price range.

It's a steal at the price, too.

midwayfair

Quote from: peAk on August 07, 2020, 10:47:45 PM
Quote from: PMowdes2 on August 07, 2020, 09:48:26 AM
Motu M4

This is the absolute best USB audio interface with the best price hands down unless you go into the RME range.

Just check Julian Krause's YouTube channel for a very scientific breakdown if the M2/M4. It smokes Steinberg and Focusrite and the others in this price range.

It's a steal at the price, too.

After watching this review, I agree with this recommendation if you can swing the extra cost. I haven't personally used this one (I've used Scarlett, Steinberg, NI, and presonus interfaces either at home or at friends' houses), but it seems like the relatively small increase in cost is more than paid for by the better performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ednXYd1pA

It seems to be sold out a bunch of places and there aren't any used ones, though.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like the Scarletts are a little more than I remember, the cost difference is negligible when buying new.

Aentons

I have a Roland Duo-Capture EX and it is great for portability. I originally bought it for an iPad since it was one of the few that was "Class-compliant" at the time (doesn't require any extra drivers). Can be battery, adapter, or USB powered.  Has lots of options and works really well on a regular desktop/laptop computer as well.

matmosphere

I am really digging that Motu but I can't find one :(

madbean

Quote from: Matmosphere on August 11, 2020, 06:12:47 PM
I am really digging that Motu but I can't find one :(

Yeah I'm thinking the M4 might be a good upgrade for me in the future. Four channels would be all I need to get decent sounding acoustic drums recorded if I needed. Plus, my 2i2 doesn't have Midi.

matmosphere

Score! Found an open box one at 2am last night 10% off

jimilee

Quote from: Matmosphere on August 12, 2020, 09:58:57 AM
Nice. Many deals have been done at the witching hour. Not all of them good or done sober.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jimilee

Nice. Many deals have been done at the witching hour. Not all of them good or done sober.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Quote from: jimilee on August 12, 2020, 11:19:50 AM

Hahaha, hopefully what is left of my souls remains in tact.

gordo

I hadn't really considered midi a factor till lately.  I'm staying true to my 2i2 gen1 for now cuz it does what I need it to do (mostly run Amplitube and RiffStation to learn tunes) but down the road I'm keeping an eye on this thread.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

chongmagic

Motu M4 all the way, great interface.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

atreidesheir

I have a great experience with Audient interfaces.  You get really nice console preamps and a JFet buffered input for guitar.  They are not lowend, but not expensive either.  Bargains for the quality you get.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman