News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Any recommendations for USB recording interfaces?

Started by matmosphere, August 06, 2020, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

I'm considering picking up a small USB interface to do a little recording without having to mess with my old Fostex MR-8. What have you guys used/ what do you like with these. I will probably be using it to plug straight into mostly as opposed to micing an amp, because I live in an apartment now.

I'm leaning towards the Native Insturments Komplete Audio 1 or 2 because I'd prefer a stepped input signal indicator, but everyone talks about the Scarlet and Presonus ones. The Presonus is kind of tempting because it's so cheap, but it doesn't look as pleasant to use as the Native instruments one. I know latency can be an issue on some of these if you are multi tracking.

At any rate I know there are others out there, so I thought I'd see what people's experience are.

jkokura

I have used a a Presonus 44VSL for a good number of years. it's great, and pretty easy to use.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Aleph Null

I've been happy with my Behringer UMC404HD. Unlike a lot of interfaces on the market, it's actually USB standards compliant. Plug it in and it works. No need for drivers.

jimilee

I use a scarlet solo in the living room and a 2i2 and 2i4 in my main recording room. Sound fantastic with no latency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

For cheap: Focusrite Scarlet if you're on a Mac and Steinberg if you're on Windows and can afford anything above the 2-input versions, Native Instruments otherwise. Steinberg's software is more stable on windows and they're reasonably well-built. The Scarlet line is very slightly nicer overall for direct if you aren't going to use any outboard gear but I honestly wouldn't get the 2-input Scarlet if you plan on micing something at all. If you're using outboard gear (like an external preamp or something), its hardware inputs suck, but that's largely true of any of your budget options.

Don't think too hard about this, just get whatever's in your budget, in stock, and is stable with your computer's OS and recording software. Almost nothing else matters until you start doing more complicated stuff ... at which point you should just get an RME interface because they support their stuff forever and it's always stable.

gordo

I think the Scarlett 2i2 has sorted out the latency issues with the Gen3 version.  I might be wrong.  Wired magazine just had a cool review of interfaces and might be a good non-partisan take.

I've had good luck with my 2i2 Gen1 with Amplitube and Sony Acid (Magix these days I think).  A tiny bit of latency but for my use it's negligible.  Driver support has been spotty with Windows updates given that it's legacy hardware.  I've kept driver versions so can bail if something breaks.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

gordo

Note that the one that IK Multi is pushing now with all the Joe Satriani endorsement is supposed to be really cool but a tad pricey.  Still, nice to have a guitar-centric face.
Gordy Power

lars

I use an old Alesis iO2. It works flawlessly with Ardour running on Linux Mint. Any interface that works fine with more obscure software and equipment is a big plus in my book. It's irritating how much stuff is prohibitively proprietary. "It works great if your running Winblows version XX with the service pack 23-7.2 updates to the updated updater"...you get the picture.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

BoleBezKontrole

I've had Scarlett 2i2 2nd gen for couple of years, never had a problem with latency. I've even used it for small gigs (acoustic guitar and vocals with some effects in ableton then straight out to active speakers) and it worked out just fine. I think they sorted out the latency and clipping problems of the 1st gen.
That's just my 2 cents, I hope you will find the one that suits your needs. :)

Willybomb

I haven't had any issues with latency with my 18i8 Gen1 that I've noticed, but I've also hardly used it.  The mic preamps, while sounding fine, don't have any sort of gain compared to say, a small behringer desk. I hear the later ones are fine though.

madbean

My Scarlett 2i2 is fine for doing simple demos and working in Reaper with VST. No real latency issues. I have it hooked up via a dedicated USB 3.0 card on my mobo.

vizcities

If you want to plan for future miking, the Audient iD14 has killer preamps for the price - definitely the best in its price point.

PMowdes2

DeadEndFX

alanp

Scarlett 2i4 here. I even use it for my audio out from the computer (years of a cable hanging off the motherboard jack ruined the contacts for the built-in soundcard, I guess.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

gordo

With the Scarlett stuff, I think USB3 might be the key.
Gordy Power