News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Telecaster wiring issue...?

Started by LaceSensor, August 08, 2020, 06:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Hi y'all

I recently took my old Squier tele apart, and as part of tarting her up / practicing my woodworking and finishing, I replaced a long broken neck pickup.
Alongside this I also replaced the controls and switch with a standard 3-way oak grigsby, and full size pots.
I took a standard tele wiring diagram :

Problem is, its wired right (white hot, black ground) and yet in the middle position im getting a hollowed out sound with little bass. I beleive thats a phase issue.
Randomly, I also got this when I replaced the bridge pickup on my 72 reissue Custom ie- same thing bridge and neck work and sound fine in their respective positions, but in the middle, its ass. I know some people like that sound but not for me, at least not on these guitars.

Any advice as to what Ive done wrong, and how to remedy would be great.
This is somewhat an embarassment as I can clearly wire and solder things.... :(

Cheers

Ian

jimilee

For a phase issue can't you just flip the wires? Also, did you test the pickups to make sure black was ground? Pickup wiring, to me, seems to never be logical.  My last suggestion would be raplce the bridge pickup just because new pickup.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

LaceSensor

I think I have figured out what the deal is

A while back I received a set of tele pickups in a trade.
I wanted a single coil bridge pup, so the neck went in teh cupboard until now.

the bridge went in the 72 custom reissue, and I bet its out of polarity with the fender wide range humbucker.

the neck has now gone in the Squier and I bet the bridge is out of polarity with it.

One way to be sure will be to take the bridge pup out the 72 and re-pair it with the neck pickup in the Squier.

then, jimi, I will need a new bridge pup for the 72  ::) ;D

LaceSensor

tried swapping the assumed hot and gnd wires on the neck pup, and it renders middle and neck positions totally silent...go figure?

madbean

Quote from: LaceSensor on August 08, 2020, 07:03:04 AM
tried swapping the assumed hot and gnd wires on the neck pup, and it renders middle and neck positions totally silent...go figure?

Does the neck pup have a cover? If so, maybe do the opposite -wire the neck normal and flip the bridge wires instead. I dunno.

LaceSensor

Quote from: madbean on August 08, 2020, 09:14:06 AM
Quote from: LaceSensor on August 08, 2020, 07:03:04 AM

Yeah it has a cover but the bridge also has a grounded copper baseplate

I'll have to see about desoldering the jumper for the neck cover and swapping it to the hot and then reversing those wires at the switch area....

Does the neck pup have a cover? If so, maybe do the opposite -wire the neck normal and flip the bridge wires instead. I dunno.

gordo

Better yet, ditch the cover all together and wrap the coil in tape.  It's amazing the difference in tone and output that an uncovered tele neck has.  Never figured out why more people don't do this.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

LaceSensor

Yo so I "fixed" this

Desoldered the ground from the cover, added a ground wire for the cover, swapped the pickup hot and ground at the switch, and voila. No phase cancellation issues.
I figure now that the middle position ISNT now hum cancelling, but nevermind.