News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ce-2 to CS-9

Started by Thewintersoldier, August 11, 2020, 10:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

I was wondering if it's possible to mod a Ce-2 board into an Ibanez CS-9. The first schematic is the aquanet chorus and the second is the pork barrel board. can it be done or to many changes? Let me know what you guys think, I'm on this total chorus kick and this is one pedal I would love to build.
Thanks,
Chris

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

Bio77

Ha, we're on the same wavelength.  I asked Diablo Chris a similar question a few months ago. 

For me, it's curious because my favorite chorus is the CS-9 and I never really liked the CE-2 (too subtle and gets lost in the mix).   Yet, the circuits look really similar.  My guess (i.e., I'm a hack, take advice from smarter people) was that the CS-9 doesn't have a 50/50 wet-dry mix like the CE-2. So, ends up more towards a vibrato.

The new Porkbarrel has the mix knob, so, I'm thinking CS-9 sounds might be in there.  I'll find out soon, it's on my bench for this weekend.

Aentons

I have an Ibanez BC-9 and it is the biggest tone sucking pedal I have right behind a whammy II. I don't know if it's the buffers or what. Not sure if the cs-9 suffers from this or not. I am assuming they are basically the same circuit. Otherwise, the chorusing is great

Scruffie

I can't quite make out one of the values on the CS9 but if I'm correct in saying the LFO values are identical, the big difference is in the amount of control voltage sent to the VCO, check the divider off the LFO buffer emitter. With the clock trim I think this is probably a large part of what sets them apart, the delay time and amount of wiggle compared to the CE-2.

As Bio77 said, the wet levels aren't equal however after looking at it I think that's just to make up for the level lost in clipping at the input. But a mix pot is always nice.

Then all that remains is the filtering values, the CS9 only has a two pole input filter but the output filter is set to roll off highs a bit faster than a CE-2.

Obviously the CS9 has a gate and a clock trim and a few other bits so you can't build them exactly on the same board without it being a mess, but you could get most of the way there... but it would be better to just buy a CS9 board, I swear someone used to offer one.
Works at Lectric-FX

Bret608

I'm pretty sure no one is offering one right now. I'd love for someone to do a board for a straight CS-9 clone (nudge nudge wink wink Lectric FX!).

Scruffie

Quote from: Bret608 on August 12, 2020, 02:03:28 PM
I'm pretty sure no one is offering one right now. I'd love for someone to do a board for a straight CS-9 clone (nudge nudge wink wink Lectric FX!).
BBD circuits? Never touch the things.
Works at Lectric-FX

Haberdasher

Quote from: Scruffie on August 13, 2020, 09:05:14 PM
Hah!
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Thewintersoldier

I brought up  you guys doing the CS-9 and FL-9 in a different post. You guys and Brian are some of the only real ones out there. But like real G's you move in silence, like lasagna.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

somnif

DiabloChris6 has done a modified CS-9 clone in the past (the "agua net" chorus), but it isn't an exact replica (mono out, for example).

Aentons

Quote from: Haberdasher on August 13, 2020, 09:28:30 PM
Hah!

....I didn't hear a no  :)

I do have a BC9 and an FL9 I could lend out for tracing if needed.

Scruffie

Quote from: somnif on August 13, 2020, 10:42:03 PM
DiabloChris6 has done a modified CS-9 clone in the past (the "agua net" chorus), but it isn't an exact replica (mono out, for example).
That must have been the one I was thinking of.

Quote from: Aentons on August 13, 2020, 11:37:51 PM
Hah!

Alright, alright, you've twisted my arm to consider it. Let it never be said I'm not like lasagna.

How is the BC9 vs. the CS9? I know it's got the dual modulation source but one Ibanez Chorus seems like enough and the CS9 seems to be more popular.

The FL9 though, I had wanted to do an MXR Micro Flanger work-a-like...
Works at Lectric-FX

Aentons

BC9 gut shots

Aentons

Aentons

Quote from: Scruffie on August 14, 2020, 10:57:34 AM
Quote from: somnif on August 13, 2020, 10:42:03 PM
That must have been the one I was thinking of.

Quote from: Aentons on August 13, 2020, 11:37:51 PM
Hah!

Alright, alright, you've twisted my arm to consider it. Let it never be said I'm not like lasagna.

How is the BC9 vs. the CS9? I know it's got the dual modulation source but one Ibanez Chorus seems like enough and the CS9 seems to be more popular.

The FL9 though, I had wanted to do an MXR Micro Flanger work-a-like...
As far as I can tell, you turn down the "A" speed and width on the BC9, and you have yourself a CS9 by only using the B section. I've never had a CS9 so I don't know for sure. The BC9 was not in production for very long at all but I view it as a kind of CS9+

Bio77

I always thought the BC9 was just a bass voiced CS9.  It's interesting to learn different.