News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lectric FX Flintlock Flanger A/DA Clone

Started by danfrank, August 15, 2020, 05:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfrank

Hi everybody! Today's build report is on the Lectric FX Flintlock. This is the second one I have built, the first one I had less than a week till a friend demanded that I sell it to him. Ok, he wanted it but didn't demand it. Lol!
This one I managed to squeeze into a 125BB, even with all the mods I did... This is an involved project but the hardest part is calibrating it. There's a lot of adjustments to make, but a scope makes it not so bad.
First MN3007 I used had delay and output but the output of the chip wasn't a nice sine wave, it was more like a sawtooth wave, the audio signal that is. Of course I adjusted everything with respect to this chip and the final result was less than stellar... What I learned here is that bad BBD ICs can pass delay and output but the output is screwed up, not right. I always thought that if a BBD passed signal, then it was good to go. Ok, I learned something new...
The input jack is right next to the clock/buffer chips; bad idea. My fix was to shield the input jack with copper tape and put more copper tape onto a piece of paper and insert that between the input jack and the clock section of the PCB. Worked like a charm in cutting noise. I also installed a switch on the back of the box for a normal/TZF selector. This effectively cuts the signal between R30 and the input op amp. I plan on putting another delay line there at a later date. The nice thing about this switch is that it cuts out the "dry" signal from the output of the pedal. As is, it offers a lot of weird sounds just from the delay part of the circuit.

lars

Nice job getting everything in there! Good thinking on the shielding tape as well. I had wondered if putting some shielding on the outside of an "enclosed" jack would be effective. You proved that it is.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

benny_profane

Wow. You packed a ton of extras into an already tight build! Nice work!

How did you implement the speed indicator LED?

danfrank

Put a resistor/LED on pin 3 of the "RANGE" pot and ground. I use a Tayda 3mm green or blue LED and a 30K resistor so the LED doesn't load down the LFO op amp.

benny_profane

Quote from: danfrank on October 15, 2021, 07:21:18 PM
Put a resistor/LED on pin 3 of the "RANGE" pot and ground. I use a Tayda 3mm green or blue LED and a 30K resistor so the LED doesn't load down the LFO op amp.
Awesome! Thank you!