News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Reverse Killswitch

Started by Guybrush, August 23, 2020, 03:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush

Hi all.

I recently gave my Strat a makeover and part of the process was to install a killswitch in place of the tone knob I removed as below...

The killswitch works great and is wired like this...

I've no idea if it's possible but I'm now hoping to install a toggle switch that reverses the effect of the killswitch so that the signal is cut until the switch is pressed.

Just wondering if any of the many smarter than me people around here could show me how I might go about wiring this?

Thanks as always guys.

jimilee

You world need a normally closed switch rather than normally open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

I'm not a strat guy, but that is a fine lookin machine

Aentons

Never get out of the boat

Guybrush

Quote from: jimilee on August 23, 2020, 03:14:25 PM
You world need a normally closed switch rather than normally open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh ok. And there's no way to add a toggle switch my normally open switch to make it normally closed? (I'm assuming not).

Edit: I found this diagram which uses a pull pot but I'm not sure how accurate it is. Can anyone make sense of it?

mjg

Yes that will work.  In one toggle position, the button is grounding the signal when pressed, which will kill the noise.  In the other Toggle position, the button is part of the circuit, so no signal gets through until the button is pressed. 

It might make a nice big pop noise when you engage the button...maybe a large value resistor over the pins of the button would help if that's an issue.  Maybe it won't be an issue.  I dunno.

madbean

Quote from: mjg on August 24, 2020, 04:50:06 AM
Yes that will work.  In one toggle position, the button is grounding the signal when pressed, which will kill the noise.  In the other Toggle position, the button is part of the circuit, so no signal gets through until the button is pressed. 

It might make a nice big pop noise when you engage the button...maybe a large value resistor over the pins of the button would help if that's an issue.  Maybe it won't be an issue.  I dunno.

Yeah that's a pretty clever solution to use a single switch. In my experience, there's little to no pop with normally open to ground kill switches.

Guybrush

Wonderful news!

Thanks guys. I'll report back when it's done. Please don't hold your breath though  ;)

Thanks again

Edit: last question (for now) - using the above wiring diagram and having the pot in the push position, would the signal pass as normal or would it be cut?
Thanks