News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Total Recall

Started by Rayzorxbass, August 28, 2020, 05:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayzorxbass

Hello all!
I'm new to the forum, and I'm interested building the Total Recall pedal.  Curious to get insights and tips from others here that have built this pedal.  Especially what BBD chips sound authentic, and any other tips you can offer.

Thanks!
Ryayzorxbass

cooder

One hint to start with: it's not an easy beginners build and reading the build doc three times will be essential.
BigNoise Amplification

Rayzorxbass

Quote from: cooder on August 28, 2020, 10:07:55 PM
One hint to start with: it's not an easy beginners build and reading the build doc three times will be essential.

Thanks!  I'm not a beginner with electronics but I apprecate the the advice.  I'll definitely read the build docs thoughly.

thomasha

Actually, read everything you can find about the DMM, and how to bias it correctly. That is, IMHO, the most difficult part.
It may work, but you don't want it to distort, but you also don't want to have a volume drop after the pedal, so, you will have to adjust it again and again. Having read several biasing guides helps.

jimilee

This^^^^ Don't forget about the BP cap. It will never work if you don't use it and in the right place. Don't ask me how I know.

Go slow, populate the resistors first, then take a break of about an hour or so. You'll avoid mistakes this way. After you get through with the resistors, go back and check out your solder joints and reflow where needed.  If you will go slow and methodically, your like will be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Stomptown

The Xvive MN3005s sound great.  I wouldn't hesitate to use them.  They are half the cost of the originals and you don't have to deal with potential headache of fake/DOA BBDs.

jimilee

Who has some right now. I'm having a little bit of an issue procuring some.

Edit: found some at synthcube for 15 each.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Rayzorxbass

Quote from: jimilee on August 29, 2020, 09:22:39 AM
This^^^^ Don't forget about the BP cap. It will never work if you don't use it and in the right place. Don't ask me how I know.

You're referring to a "non-polarized cap" right?

Go slow, populate the resistors first, then take a break of about an hour or so. You'll avoid mistakes this way. After you get through with the resistors, go back and check out your solder joints and reflow where needed.  If you will go slow and methodically, your like will be great.

Stomptown

Quote from: jimilee on August 29, 2020, 10:51:55 AM

Nice find!

Rayzorxbass

Quote from: Stomptown on August 30, 2020, 12:43:57 AM

I just checked Synthcube and the Xvive's are listed as "out of stock".  They do have original MN3005 chips for $49 each. 
I just pre-ordered some of the Xvive 3005 chips from cabintechglobal.com.  2 or more are $17.54 each.  They should be in stock on or before September 14.

jimilee

Quote from: Rayzorxbass on August 31, 2020, 12:47:32 PM
Quote from: Stomptown on August 30, 2020, 12:43:57 AM

I just checked Synthcube and the Xvive's are listed as "out of stock".  They do have original MN3005 chips for $49 each. 
I just pre-ordered some of the Xvive 3005 chips from cabintechglobal.com.  2 or more are $17.54 each.  They should be in stock on or before September 14.
Yep, they go quick.